1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fishstick control

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MsQueen, Oct 29, 2003.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Anyone out there have a Fisher "fishstick" controller? I ordered the plow and had them add that into the deal.

2. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Ya fish stick is pretty cool. Able to hold it comfortably in hand while shifting from drivr to reverse....drive to reverse.....drive to reverse...Neck is starting to tighten just thinking about the joys of plowing snow

3. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I have fishsticks in both of my plowtrucks. I love them. I have heard some people on this site complain that they can get hot, but I haven't noticed. I hold the stick and shift with my right hand and steer with my left. Once you get used to it you'll forget it 's even there.

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Two trucks have the Fishstick, One has the little 2" x 2" square control box with the little joy stick mounted on the dash and the oldest truck has the steel bracket mounted under the dash with the long joystick lever.

I prefer the little 2" x2" box on the dash to the left of the steering wheel myself. Some of the other guys like the Fishstick.

5. myo

myo Senior Member

I had a fishstick with my sonoma and I liked it but didn't do enough plowing with it to get used to it... Right now I prefer the 2"x2" square box

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the new fishstick is a handheld membrane switch, it is nolonger a joystick

fishstick.jpg

7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Hi Big Nate,

That is what I have, two of those handheld fishsticks. One came with the MM2 V-Plow and the other with the MM1 8'.

8. Cobra1832

Cobra1832 Junior Member
    from Ma

Fish Stik Mount?

Hi Guys,

Is the Fish Stik supposed to come with a mount for hanging on the dash? The groves on the tip look like they should slide into some kind of bracket but when I bought mine they did not provide me with one.

What are you guys doing?

Thanks,
    Mike

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,It should hace come with a mount kit,I find it useless myself,i just lay it over the steering column.

10. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have that exact handheld for my Western and was wondering who had it first Fisher or Western and are they a joint company or something?

11. butters

butters Member

Fisher and Western are owned by the same parent company (Douglas Dynamics) so that might explain the similar control.

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Got it, love it....(even though I haven't plowed with it yet!!)

13. Cobra1832

Cobra1832 Junior Member
    from Ma

Photo?

If it's not too much trouble could someone post a picture of the mount?

Thanks.

14. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Cobra, just do a search for fish stick mount, there a few threads with pics of them that guys have made or bought. Should help you out although you will probably find it just as easy to lay over the steering column when not using it and have it in your right hand when plowing. I love using ours and all the guys do once we got used to it (first storm).

15. George C

George C Senior Member

I have the Fishstick.

I wish I'd have opted for the joy stick.
    The thing that turns me off about the fishstick is that you have to hold the down button until the plow hits, or it will stop dropping. Also the swing is much more crisp with the joystick. The Fishstick swing is very sloppy IMHO.
    With the joystick, all you need to do it tap the lever down and the plow drops all the way.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I agree 100%. I called Fisher and asked if it could be modified they said no. Being the persistent ******* that I am I called again trying get and engineer to get me a electrical schematic with No luck. I still want to take it apart and see how I can modify it. What bugs me the most is that I want the blade to be strait when I park it in my garage so I can put it up against the wall, the F-ing thing walks back and forth with the fishstick. I got so fed up I plug in the old box and set it. That's just not right! ( Fisher are you listening??)

17. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yaz,

Heres the difference between controllers...

the joystick uses basic on/off switches with out any delay and thats why you get the crisp clean hard stops from the joystick.

the handheld has a micro processor with a millisecond delay built in. what this does is shuts off the motor but it doesnt close the valves for the requested function right away. Thats where you get the slight drift in the blade from.

The handheld basically came from the fact that people were complaining that the joystick was to harsh and jerky which caused the truck to rock all over the place.

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

So we can't tweek that micro processor? :confused: or can we? or somone?

19. twodan

twodan Member

fishstick & fuse

i haven't used mine yet, but saw the warning about using the proper fuse. do these have a tendency to blow fuses?

20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Microcontrollers cannot be tweaked per say... A microcontroller is basically a computer with at program "burned" into it, so the only way to fix it would be to "burn" another program into. The delay is what Fisher and Western refer to as "soft" stop. It is not a bad think because it is less jerky, but it is a pain when trying to get the blade straight. I think they should have but a way to disable it, or they could have set it up so that the soft stop only work when you hold the button down(I.E. moving it a lot), and when you tap it it is disabled (I.E. precise positioning).

Actually is probably would not be a hard change for a good engineer to fix, probably just a few additional lines of code... It's just convincing them to do so.

Anybody ever taken one apart?? Most microcontrollers you can read the program from if you have the proper equipment and time...