1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XV and XV2 killing plow side modules?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I have seen quite a few of these lately and I think there may be 'something' going on.

My truck has a 4 port module so is set up with 29175 adapter to run fleetflex.

1) Sold an XV to a nice guy (who happens to be a member) pre-season. I delivered the plow, showed it worked, and handed him the new wiring and adapter to use on his truck with 4 port module. He called the next day after wiring the truck and said controller was blinking. We troubleshooted a bit and I ended up driving back out with a module off another plow and all worked fine.

2) Same person with same plow and truck just killed another module (although this time the symptom was constant motor running when hooked up)

3) Sold my nearly new XV2 to a guy last night. Worked great, same deal where plow worked fine and handed over wiring & adapter. He called me to say that the controller was blinking and module is no good.

Has anyone else experienced issues killing plow side modules? I wonder if it has something to do with the adapter? I'll admit it is possible that #1 and #3 were due to installer error and #2 was just bad luck but it seems unlikely based on the skill required to do this correctly.

The only way I can think to eliminate my truck as a potential source is to convert to 3 port but thats a PITA for not much gain. And, I have never had an issue where I have killed one that I am running for weeks/months. I have sold another 4 or so in the same manner and installed at least 4 of these swaps myself and not had an issue either, so now that I'm talking out loud I'm starting to wonder about maybe it is installer error. But what could someone do to fry one and not pop a fuse???
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you email fisher?
  3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

4 port here with same adapter and no issues with XLS or Extreme V. What year were these plows?
  4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

The XV was a 2010 I think.
    The XV2 was a 2013 obviously.

I didn't get them before they closed, but am calling them first thing tomorrow.

I have run XLS, XV, XV2 and new straight blade too. Still don't think its mine though because I've never had an issue while using one but also have to note that my truck was last one to touch before new owner encountered #1 and 3 failure...
  5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

hmmm sounds like something is causing power to blow the module, interested to see what you find out
  6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Called Fisher and they said only 3 things they know of:
    Plugging in cable upside down
    Physical damage from stacking in V
    Moisture from above
  7. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

very interesting indeed
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Boss plugged in his xls main power connection backwards, it only blew the fuse for the solenoid. Replaced fuse and reconnected properly worked great.
  10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah, don't know what to think. A part of me feels like until I see it happen first-hand to me, I can't help but think #1 and #3 were some kind of install issue, and #2 was just time/luck etc (IIRC it was replaced with a used module to get it up and operational at the time). Maybe others who have touched a lot of these plows (including dealers like Lon and ArcBurn) will jump in.
  11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Could it have something to do with the security code ? Maybe a new module gets around it ? What would happen if you tried hooking up to a plow someone had a security code on ?
  12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The only modules i've seen go bad were damaged while stacking,2 of those were "creative" thinkers who removed the stacking stops to gain clearance:mechanic:
    The other caught a tree limb just right,they all ran untill they ultimately died from moisture.
    I know i thought i had 1 narrowed down to module,replaced,plow ran fine for 2 weeks and came back,same issue,swapped old module back on and plow ran,eventually found a wiring issue that happened to come and go while i wass swapping modules.original module is on now for the last 2 seasons no issues.
    On the early Extremes(and fleet flex in general) they did update the motor relay to handle the extra amps coming thru the now live battery cables all the way out to the plow,have replaced a number of those now,symptoms from stuck plow motor to hit and miss run,Part # 42901.