1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XTV or XLS ????

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Oct 17, 2009.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

So, I made the decision to buy a new blade this year but I am torn between the Xtreme V and the XLS. Price isn't really a factor as I got a really good price on both a 9.5' ss & the XLS, it's only $400 more for the XLS.
    Does anyone have actual experience with the two that can offer some insight? Is the XLS all that it's cracked up to be?

2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

This will be going on the 2500?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing for locations? Is this your only truck? If it's your only, I would look for a Vee. (Look at the Red ones, they're very nice) If you are doing 90% parking areas, then maybe the XLS. Best of both worlds, put wings on your Vee.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

This will be going on the 2500 yes. My wrecker is my back up, but I don't like using it unless I have to. The majority of my account base is Private roads, and smaller parking lots.

5. SuperdutyShane

No experience with it, but I like the idea of a v blade. Whats your wrecker? I think I remember it as your avatar, was it a Ford 450?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are these private roads that you do when the storm is all over? Really tough to beat the versatility of the vee.

7. SuperdutyShane

Yah, if he was doing it after the storm, busting through drifts with that v would be day and night compared to an xls.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

I have to keep up on the private roads. Most of them are associations that won't allow more then 4" - 6" of snow on the ground. Everyone one of them either has a blue collar on-call guy, or some Doctor with a rear wheel drive luxury car.

I saw one of those new Boss V's on a F350 tonight....Talk about one mean looking machine. If I were to ever leave Fisher; it would be for one of those for sure. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to stay with fisher at this time.

Shane, that was my dream wrecker...lol. No I have a 96 F-550 with the 7.3. I'm trying to get rid of that for a flatbed, but my contracts need to start paying on time before I finance another truck. The wrecker has always had front end problems, hence why I don't want to plow with it. Your a Ford guy, I'm sure your familiar with the death wobble.?.?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would still be inclined to go with the vee. You can always add wings.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. SuperdutyShane

What are you talking about? Chevy is the one with the front end problems :p! Just ask 2COR517! Haha.

11. SuperdutyShane

But if that truck has the death wobble, you really should do something about that, Ive heard of trucks flipping from it..

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh I have. Thousands of dollars out the window. I took it too a couple spring shops & dealers. All I got was alot of new parts and alot of bills. A spring shop in Portland finally fixed it, but it came back a month later. They did some more stuff again in May to cure it again, and it hasn't come back.....yet. So I would rather not push it. I wanted to use it as my primary truck this season, but thats not going to happen.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What does Ford say about this?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

They played that guessing game. It's this, then it's that, all the while my credit card was heading for the glass ceiling. I gave up with them after they replaced already brand new shocks, stabilizer, & coil springs. I happen to drive by McFarland springs and saw it in the lot. I figured if there going to out source it without telling me, It was worth me taking it there myself. All of them say it was from years of abuse as a plow truck. But I drove someone else's truck that did the same thing, & it never had a plow on it. Mine had a conventional 9' on it when I bought it. I took it off & sold it the first week. I had the rear springs replaced the first go around when it got cured, then another alignment the second time.

15. SuperdutyShane

Hmm, looks like its time for a new tow truck. Time for a new pickup too. I think you should go with a nice F250 with a 9'6'' V Crew Cab, Short bed. Then a nice F-550 with a flatbed. I dont know about a plow for the flatbed though :laughing:

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

No no, GMC stays. Momma almost flipped a lid when I mentioned it the other day. My next truck will be a deisel Super Duty for sure. I'll keep dreaming about the flatbed for now, but it will be bigger then the ford.

17. SuperdutyShane

Haha. Oh boy could I spend some real good money for Hodges Recovery :D! :laughing:

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm sure you could. :D STEP BACK FROM THE CREDIT CARD! :eek:

19. SuperdutyShane

Haha! I mean, with the money you spent on that old Ford, I could have bought you plenty of other things.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I don't even want to think about that. I got the truck for a song though. It was a repo victim with some work needed. Funny thing is, I do more repo's without it.