1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher xtreme V problems?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sam973, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sam973

sam973 Member

Hey guys, I have a new Fisher xtreme V plow that I have used twice and already have had to replace the center angle blades that catch the snow. I used the plow once in October and once last week. I'm not hard on my equipment at all either. I know I went over a man hole lip here and there plowing some roads, but that is part of plowing roads! Anyone else have problems with bending these inner blades? The other thing I noticed is that the V blades eats cutting edges compared to my regular plows. I took off 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in two storms. How is everyone else doing with them?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There really is no trip protection at the hinge point when in Vee. Are your edges 3/8 or 1/2 thick?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The 3/8" thick edge's are junk unless you have some type of added metal like the curb guards I have that are 1/2" thick and about 8" long. If your running the 3/8" edge on the roads don't expect to get more than a handful of hours out of them. As far as the center edges, I personally never had any problems but I don't plow roads. I've hit a few manhole covers but at very low speeds. I don't really know if these plows were made for plowing roads or are the best for doing so.

4. bbct001

bbct001 Member

Did roads with a 9.5 XV for 3 years, never had a problem, and a few of them only had 1 layer of asphalt (i.e. some really high manhole covers!) Replaced the cutting edge for the first time halfway through last year. It's about due for another one, but after last winter that doesn't suprise me.

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Make sure the a-frame is perfectly level. Step up to thicker cutting edges. I am running 5/8 edges and 1/2" centers.

6. combiking

combiking Junior Member

I also bent one of my middle pieces on a man hole, it happens i just heated it up and straightened it out. My cutting edges to seem to wear un even but i also plow with shoes most of the time so they dont get much use.

7. sam973

sam973 Member

It seems pretty crappy to me that u cant be expected to plow over small man holes with a brand new xtreme v. I just cant imagine how they didnt plan for this in the design of the plow. Putting a thicker blade on doesn't sound like a fix, it just sends the force further down the line. Maybe this is why rubber was used in the center on all the old V-plows... Do the Boss plows have this issue too? I think I'm starting to regret this plow. My route isn't smoothe as glass and hitting bumps is going to happen.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Give it time, those feelings will strengthen....

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm starting to feel that way about mine.

10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I've had my XV since the fall of 08' and have never had these problems. 98% of what I plow is commercial lots and service roads with plenty of manhole covers........... It's not always the plow, maybe you've just have to get used to it....... Knowing what positions at what times work best. It's like any new piece of equipment, it takes a little time to learn the quirks.
    Overall for the length of time, it's been a reliable, great plow for me.....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. sam973

sam973 Member

So more or less your saying dont hit anything thats raised with the center of the plow?? I can't imagine Fisher expects every manhole and bump in the road to land in the middle of the long blades and not the the center blades.. I would love to hear from a Fisher designer on this. Isn't the point of a V plow to make the first pass down the center of the road in V position? Every road I have ever been on has the man holes in the center.. Even if I wasn't in the V position I still dont think it would trip.
    If I come across annoyed its because I am. After using a new plow twice I had to buy new center blades only to realize I also had to buy new outer blades because they wore so much that the new centers were 3/4" taller. At this rate its going to cost me money to plow with this v blade.

12. sam973

sam973 Member

And I'm not out to bash Fisher. I have 5 other Fishers all straight blades that are problem free. I'm just not happy with this new Xtreme V.

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Xv wouldn't be my first choice for plowing roads. But, overall I am happy with mine. You must have really hit something hard to bend your center edge?? Or it got hot and bent when you hit the manhole? I'm not bashing, just throwin in 2 pennies

14. Mid-Ohio Scaper

That's not what I'm saying..... What I'm saying is that every site is different.... I plow every site or road differently depending on site conditions and the layout. The point of the "V" plow is versatility..... If every road you drive on has man holes in the center.... Why would you put the plow in V where it's the hardest position for it to trip? Knowing there are man holes sticking up?? That makes absolutely no sense. You're setting your plow up for a problem. Maybe you switch it up. Since you like to start in the center, try starting with the blade straight and push the first pass to one side or the other allowing the edge to trip much easier than in V. It's all about site conditions, reading the site conditions, and knowing how to use the blade in those changing conditions. Not bashing either, just looking at it from all angles.

15. sam973

sam973 Member

I fully get what your saying (been plowing many many years). I didnt mean I was plowing in the V position when this happened. I was speaking hypothetically there. We have only had two six inch snow falls, so there wasn't the need to cut through in the V position. I'm pretty sure it bent while driving with the plow angled to the passenger side. I just caught the man hole dead center. It did the normal Fisher hop when you hit something. With the straight blades this was never a problem. From how I see this, its a design flaw. There is no strength to the center of those little blades and I dont think it will trip straight or v when you hit something dead center.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I believe Sam is a little frustrated that he fell for Fisher's hype that the trip edge will trip in any position.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Well they do or at least some do. Its too bad Fisher doesn't have adjustable trip springs for reasons such as these.

18. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I think you might be right..... I've never met a V plow that trips with ease in the V position. Of course I can only really comment on the Fisher XV which I own, and the Boss, and Meyer which close friends own. I will say through trials of our own, the Fisher XV handles obstacles better in any position than the Boss or Meyer. Not trying to start a p*ssing contest, just some friends experimenting with their V plows in real world scenarios.....
    I guess it goes to show that you just can't believe everything you hear.

If you really are regretting the Fisher XV you should sell it to me :D and experiment with other brands. Every brand has their strengths and weaknesses, let me remind you that there is no perfect plow, no matter the brand. They're only as good as the humans making them, and the last time I checked there are no humans who are A: Omniscient,
    and B: Perfect.

But I do sympathize with spending money when you don't want to. :mad: That sucks no matter which way you cut it.

Just saying......

19. sam973

sam973 Member

I've had a few weeks now to let my frustration with this plow settle down. I have made a point to talk to two different local dealers and several guys in the area running them. The problem does seem to be common. From what I hear running a thicker blade will help this. For now I will leave the new 3/8 one on there. I'm thinking about adding some bracing in the actual bends on those center blades. This might help the bending issue. Pretty much everyone I have talked to with these plows said center impact causes problems. Never thought to ask about this before I got the plow. Long story short this v blade sounds like it will have more maintenance and upkeep than a regular plow. I need a snowy year to know for sure though.

20. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I bought 5/8" edges at local dealer. Was like $20 more. The center edges are still 1/2" though. Next time I'll be making my own edges. If your 3/8" are wearing badly you could runs the plow shoes. Think they're like $180.