1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS user questions! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by everestscape, Jan 23, 2014.

1. everestscape

everestscape Member

Hey guys, I have a 8.6 xtreme v as my primary plow. I love it, I'll never own a straight blade again BUT, I'm getting more and more commercial work and some of the lots are huge. I was looking at a 9.6 V with wings but that's an enormous plow going down the road. Because plows aren't like mowers where I can demo it, I had a few questions before I go for it.
    -How does it scrape because I know it doesn't come with a cutting edge
    -How fast does the end rubber wear out
    -Am I going to sacrifice stacking because the V is higher in scoop
    -Has anybody had issues with the wings AT ALL (bending, breaking etc.)
    -From people who vent from V to XLS, overall yay or nay on the switch

Thanks ion advance guys, I really appreciate it.

2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I started with a XLS this year. No problems with scrapping. Once the blade wears down (I have a handle full of zero tolerance contracts) you can then put a cutting edge on it.
    It's not great for stacking. As they like to "short chain " them selves, the wings are great and move a lot of snow. I've "tapped" a curb or 2 and no problems.

Over all I recommend this plow

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I've run the XlS for the last...6 years, ever since they came out...or was it the year after it came out, either or, I went to a 9.6 XV2 this year, great plow, but I'm much more efficient with the XLS, it will cut your time down, and stacks almost as good as the original xv imo. The XV2 stacks monster walls though, very impressive, but I can do more with the xls in shorter time periods, there is no question about it. You will not regret that purchase, that you can count on.

I agree 100%...I could never go back to a straight blade!

I ran a cutting edge right out of the crate. Don't get the cheap one, get the thicker 7.5' one. Then again, I flipped into a new plow every season, it might not be worth it for you if you're going to keep it for awhile.

Deflector is a must over 20 mph, big lots...it's a must have.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. everestscape

everestscape Member

I appreciate the response. So how does yours scrape and have you had any issues with the wings for all these years?

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

It scrapes really well, backdraging isn't nearly as cool as with an XV though, but it's far better then a straight blade imo, simply because of the weight I assume. With a cutting edge it's more then sufficient though.

The wings, I've never had an issue with functionality, and I've hit some pretty radical things over the years. The poly edges last about 2 years with good use. They'll cut in and look like they're in need of replacing within a year, but they're not, you won't loose snow with them at that stage. The replacement price has come down on them significantly too, they were like $320 a set when they first came out, it's only $140-$160 now I think.

The biggest thing to watch for is when you first get it, the pole guide fasteners (bolt direction) they're sometimes installed backwards right at the factory, make sure they're facing the proper way (illustrations in the install guide), they'll tear your wings to hell if installed backwards, and dent the edge of the moldboard, which further gouges the back of the wing. The other thing is the wear strips (3 on each side) on the back of the wings, they will fall off, it's only a matter of time. Sometimes within the first use. They ARE warrantied, stockpile them, just tell the dealer a couple fell off, & keep them in the truck, so when they do, you can replace them. It's best to do it in a heated garage, and prep and install them on a clean, dry surface with a heat gun and pressure. I've had them last an entire season if installed properly. If you keep them on there, you'll reduce the paint rubbing and rust....which can be significant if they're not on there.

6. everestscape

everestscape Member

Thanks for all the help and tips with the plow. I think im going to go for it. My dealer told me he doesn't let a XLS leave his shop without a cutting edge on it. I've heard more good than bad about the XLS/Wideout so, cant hurt to try it. Thanks for all the help everyone, if you think of any other pros or cons please let me know. THANKS!!

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

What are you being quoted for a new one?

8. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

My "wear strips" did fall off after first use. I questioned the dealer...he called Fisher (supposedly) He told me Fisher said they were there just for installation/delivery to prevent paint wear till installation/ delivery and not required beyond that! What gives???

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

:laughing: ....For installation :rolleyes: That's a new one! I'd bet c-notes to doughnuts, that your dealer didn't call to begin with. You might want to find another dealer, or atleast tell them to stop making sh!t up as they go. Call Fisher tech department for yourself tomorrow 207-701-4200.

10. everestscape

everestscape Member

I think it's $6200 installed $5700 cash and carry. Not certain though

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

Is that with truckside, or just off truck

12. everestscape

everestscape Member

Soup to nuts, mount controller wires and cutting edge

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's not bad for Jersey. I could set you up with my guy cheaper, but it would be one hell of a haul to get it. Best of luck!

14. everestscape

everestscape Member

How far are we talking haha? I've driven 4 hours for a switch n go body so if it's that cheaper maybe it's worth it

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Rye, NH, just outside of Portsmouth, right of 95

16. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

we want some pictures!

17. everestscape

everestscape Member

Of....haha????

18. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

the New xls you said you were buying:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. everestscape

everestscape Member

Oh haha! I think I'm going to finish out this year with the V and get the xls for next season.

20. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

You selling the xv2?