1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS Reliable??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vt properties, Feb 1, 2010.

1. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Im looking at buying a new 09 f350 dump body that has a fisher XLS on it from the dealer, I have always used fisher And a have a 8' hd on my f250 and a older 9' staight blade on my 03 f350 dump body, I was going to trade in the 03 and purchase the 09 with the XLS blade. I have read some threads that were not to favavorable of the XLS and its reliability. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

It is generally a good blade, but a few people have had some issues. Most of them seem to be minor and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It will be a very productive truck for you.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I had a bad apple, and for the most part they have corrected my issues. The plow is phenomenal in what it can do. I would pause before buying another one, but I would buy another one if faced with the choice. Even though I had issues...and am still having an issue, it only left me stranded once. Within 4 hours or so I was back on the road with it.

4. vt properties

from vermont

Yea I read that whole post Repo and it made me hesitate I have a 8'hd and 9' older mc fisher and they never gave me any probs , I just serviced them as recomended but jeez that XLS of yours seemed possesed and it seems you got strung out on it. Even worse is that it was brand new.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your right about that. Apparently it still isn't over, It's now slamming harder to one side then it was when I picked it up. Fisher wants me to bring it back to Messer to be looked at. I'm wondering if I should seek reimbursement for fuel & millage at this point, if my count is correct this is my 9th or 10th time going there now. getting to be ri....no scratch that, it is beyond ridiculous!

6. vt properties

from vermont

Terrible repo I have never heard of a new high dollar top end plow act like this. The only thing I would have going 4 me is that the ford dealership will bring me a brand new plow truck in the event of a break down wether it be the plow or truck. My buddy put over 3k on a new 09 last year when his truck went down. But to be honest I would perfer a straight fisher blade, seems to be simpler less stuff to break. Well I cant believe that fisher is doing this to you. They should realize that we do network and in my opinion makes potential new plow buyers look at there compitition.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Actually, the wings and such are perfectly fine. I think you would be amazed how much the XLS will do for you. I would recommend you go for it despite my misfortune.

That's awesome that the dealer will do that for you.

Fisher has there fair of bad rep at this point. My problems were nothing more then a rain drop in the lake. The way they handle alot of their issues are not desirable. I can understand there position as a manufacturer and what goes along with it, however thier....defensive actions and lack there of support are unnerving to say the least. Thank god for the dealer repair policy, otherwise we would all be paddle-less in the famous river.

8. vt properties

from vermont

Thanx Repo, just read youre other thread sounds like in the end it worked out . Yea I love the ability of the XLS I might go for it. Now we just need some snow been kinda dry up here in vermont, only been out plowing like 4x and salted/sanded 5x last month. I buy the extended warranty on all my new ford trucks with this dealer. They fix everything, no co pay even though it is supposted to be like $20.00. They even give you a new ford focus to drive when you bring youre car in 4 service, thats to anyone . I couldnt believe it, they sell Boss and fishers, mostly fishers though. Also my new 8' hd stops hard to the left, brought it in nothing wrong. I checked on a thread apparently with the joystick it does this. Its not that bad, but if you use the fish stick accourding to the thread it will soft stop.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yes, the fishstiks employ soft stop technology which if your used to a joystick your going to be finding the grass real quick:D

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah well....I have the fish stick. That's my problem. I tried my backup as well as my backup PCB board on both controllers...still there. I didn't have this issue with my previous pump setup.

We hit a dry spell here as well. the 18th was the last hit. Hopefully we'll get hit again soon.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Love My XLS....Dont have a ton of hours on it....But what a versitle Pow...The only real problem i see is the wing cutting edges..I dont think they will last a long time...I can live with that...Get a good dealer and you should be good to go....:salute:

12. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i have a nine foot xblade on 08 f350. i will trade you the plow and some cash for the xls if you are interrested.

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The wings will wear at the rate of the steel cutting edge. However, if they somehow get really worn, u can turn them around & re-adjust the heights.