1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by adorler, Jan 21, 2013.

1. adorler

adorler Junior Member

Hi all! Have a Fisher XLS...I had a small leak on the left cylinder that moves the blade...Well I tightened it and when I activated the plow to the right it would hesitate for about 2 seconds. Well I loosened the fill plug and air came out (the problem maybe). So I topped off the fluid till it came to the top. Today I plowed for a few hours and it still hesitates...andy ideas?

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Possible you have air in your lines. take the air cap off and move the bladder left and right about 6 or 7 times the air should work its way out.

3. adorler

adorler Junior Member

Is that the cap on top of the resivoir, how do i move the bladder

4. snowish10

I know on the western its a gray plastic cap. But yes my western air cap is in the front top. Leave the fill port cap on and tight. Turn the blade on, and use the controller to move the blade to the left and right.

5. adorler

adorler Junior Member

Ahh got it...ill go try it now....thanks

6. snowish10

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

How old is your XLS? There is an updated packing nut...it may very well be your issue. If yours is in fact the old one, they'll swap it out, replace the fluid, remove the air, and clean up the mess...

8. adorler

adorler Junior Member

I just bought it in december..i just tried letting the air our buy loosening the grey air release on top of the resivoir and activating the plow to move air out....did it a bunch of times...still hesitating..

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Was it new?

Be careful not to aerate the fluid...you'll only make it worse from there on out.

10. adorler

adorler Junior Member

Yes....how do u aerate it

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

Too much movement, not enough fluid...or trapped air within a component.

Give it a bit, let it rest. extend the wings, and and angle left, release the pressure by loosening the breather, then top off the fluid. re secure, then angle right, and do it over again. Collapse the wings, then raise the plow...here comes the mess, raise the plow, then slightly loosen the breather. If there is fluid seeping out of it, don't bother, it's full, and air free.

They come low to begin with, then you lose more putting on hoses to the rams. Add the leaking packing nut into it...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013