1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher xls problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jimmysnow, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

my truck is chevy 2500hd 2011 and my new blade kit is fishers xls and when i use 10 time the electric motor the computer (pcm) of the truck go in economy mode and charge only at 12.75 with 35%duty cycle at the alternator...new 160AMP alternator and 2 new battery are in the truck...any idea ,any contact for fisher techline help solution....the new kit is ok it work fine on my spare truck ...chevy 2004....the problem is on the computer programmation...thanks

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

I believe that is a GM issue not Fisher. The PCM may need to be flashed with an update to address this. Does the truck have a plow prep package?

3. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

no plows pakage and dealer said no flash to do

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

did the dealer have anything to say?

5. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

tis truck is not for snow removal but is a full load...the snow plow option have a 130amp alternator and my truck have a 160 upgrade alt......

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

This isn't a helpful post to your problem but I need to read your posts twice to try and decipher what you're trying to say. I'd bring it in to the dealer, it's under warranty, so what you're saying is it's going into economy mode while plowing?

7. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

the truck computer have 5 charging mode to drive the alternator in duty cycle.when it s at 70%of duty cycle the alternator charge 14.50 volt but when the computer go in economy mode the duty cycle is 35 %and voltage is near 12.80 and i have not power for working the electric motor....

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you may need to adjust your plowing style. You are probably moving the plow much more than necessary. When you are doing back and forth areas, lift the blade just enough to get it off the ground. And don't keep fiddling with the blade angle and wing boxes. Set it and forget it. Also, shifting all the way to [1] rather than [D] will keep the revs up and help keep your alternator cool and happy.

9. mrv8outboard

I would start at the dealer, explain the issue and request they correct it. They may have to call the technical/engineering line to get a solution. If this fails, there is another option. Some thing like hand held performance tuner. They can custom program a tune for your truck that will change the parameters that will help with your issue. You can also check out what town truck companies are doing as they must run into this with their type of equipment.

10. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

There is a TSB on this issue. It can be fixed by reprogramming the BCM. The TSB # is 07-06-03-009B. The other fix is by engaging the tow haul button. Good luck.

11. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

thanks a lot snow 7899 i gone try this tomorow...i get the technical bulletin but i dont see the bcm reprogramation...but with the tow all mayby is ok..........:mechanic:

12. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

no more charging intow mode or with the headlamp on.....try to find the new programmation for the bcm...anyone know where i can find......thanks

13. mrv8outboard

Subject: Information on Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due to Regulated Voltage Control System and Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging #07-06-03-009 - (12/05/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models

2005-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2008 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon Models

Voltmeter Fluctuation Condition
    Some customers may comment that the voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system reduces the targeted output of the generator to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode" to improve fuel economy. The generator may exit "Fuel Economy Mode" if additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems that usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.

Camper/Trailer Battery Charging Concerns
    Some customers may comment that when towing or hauling a camper/trailer, the auxiliary battery for the camper/trailer will not stay charged. In most cases, this concern is blamed on the new RVC system. While the RVC system does reduce the generator's targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode", this feature is bypassed if the tow/haul feature is enabled. With the tow/haul feature enabled, the RVC system will stay in "Charge Mode" and the targeted generator output voltage will be 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and the estimated battery temperature. To keep the generator in the "Charge Mode", use either of the following two methods.

• The first method is to use the tow/haul mode when towing or hauling a camper or trailer.

• The second method is to turn on the headlights, which will increase the generator's targeted output voltage to 13.9-14.5 volts.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

14. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Is English your first language? It sounds like you are typing things into google translate.

It seems like your dealer doesn't want to do his/her job

15. jimmysnow

jimmysnow Junior Member
    from 81611

non mon premier language est le FRANÇAIS...FRENCH ....SO I TRY TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU
    ARE YOU O.K WITH THAT... AND THE DEALER TOLD ME EVERYTHING IS O.K GO AT YOUR HOME... THANKS

16. SharpBlades

There's no need to yell... I have no problem. Just wondering.

My 04 has a similar problem, I just have my guys move the plow as little as possible, and push in first gear to keep the rpm's up as high as possible

17. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

put a sec batt in it and call it a day

18. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

With a system like that, the biggest you can fit!!!!!

19. SharpBlades

In the first post he says it's got dual batteries and 160 amp alternator... It really sounds like the dealer isn't doing something or telling him everything

20. gbrockway

gbrockway Junior Member
    from Ohio

Charging Issue

I have a 2009 K2500HD 160 AMP alt.

I think I have the same problem.

When I plow snow if I start out charging at 5 amps. You lift the plow and it takes out about 100 amps during the lift. Then it goed back to charging at 5 amps but the volts is lower because I took out some lifting the plow. This repeats until I get to about 10 volts. Then it starts charging at about 100 amps and brings the volts back up.

It has been to one dealer 4 times and a second dealer once. the problem as not been solved.