1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS plow that wont lift up

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by kingsr6, Nov 1, 2015.

1. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

I posted this the other day in another forum and didn't get many responses so I thought I would repost in the Fisher Forum to see if I get some more suggestions.

I have a Fisher XLS 8-10 blade. All functions work. New plow oil, new hoses, It is full of oil. Blade goes L/R and expands and retracts with no issues at all. However when I try to raise the blade it only comes up about 1 inch and stops. Pump is still trying to lift. I can only make it lift full height if I tap the L/R while holding the lift button down. This "jarring" action will slowly lift it up.
    I have tried switching the coils to make sure it wasn't a bad coil. No change still wont lift. I also replaced the SVCV08-20 valve ( which I believe is the raise lower valve) just in case it was sticking on or not opening all the way. No Change.
    So I am left with the pump, but if all the other blade actions work perfectly fine, could it really be a pump?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

try another controller, and check the plugs make sure they are cleaned and greased.
  3. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

Tried two different controllers. Made no difference. All connections are in great condition. Plugs are clean, dielectric grease applied, and checked that the pins a spread to ensure contact.

Going to try putting my buddies fisher on my truck and my fisher on his truck tomorrow. Should eliminate anything on the truck side, or maybe show me something on the truck side of things. Probably going to drain the fluid again and pull the pump apart to see what's going on in there. Maybe a bad o-ring or something letting fluid bypass.

So freaking irritating... Plow worked fine last spring. Cleaned it, greased it, changed oil, stored it indoors and this is the thanks I get. Should have done what I always do.. Unhooked it and left it alone for the summer outside in the sun and rain. Never had an issue when I did that, other than a couple cans of WD40 in the fall to free it up! LOL
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Does the cylinder lift with no load on it? Check the temperature of the lift hose.See it the temps are high,like 150 deg.Had a airbound line on one of my plows(not fisher)and it compressed the air and heat was the clue.On my fisher plow it would struggle to lift,turned out to be the quill,adjusted with a screwdriver and lifted fine.This was a mm2 so not sure if its still the same on a xls.Also had a pump on the way out,it would angle fine,but couldn't lift because of weight of plow. Just a few thoughts.
  5. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Check the pump pressure. The PSI may need to be adjusted. I have EZ Vee's and straight blades act similar. I checked and found the pressure low, tried to increase it only to find the pump was weak. I have seen this often.
  6. George C

George C Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but I have to wonder why Fisher chose to install the 1 3/4" lift cylinder on the XV2, but not on the heavier XLS?
    Consider my additions of a cutting edge and the rubber deflector and shoe kit, the plow now closes in on 1,200 lbs.

I added the larger lift cylinder before my new plow left the dealer.

So I have to think that the first thing to give it up wil be the standard lift cylinder...
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

This could be one, or a combination of things....

Sounds to me like you have air in the system. Lifting takes more PSI than angling. I'd have to look at a schematic, but I think the only reason it's going up when bumping left in between is that it's building pressure in the system against a closed valve and adding fluid from the closing cylinder each time.

If you've run through the series of motions too many times without adequately resting in between each series, you can aerate the fluid to the point of no return, rendering it junk. This happens more times then one might think. Drain and replace.

Run through each series of motions once, then top off, increase to two...then three..use a 15 minute wait time in between, increasing in 15 minute intervals and adding fluid everytime. Do this on a steep incline or even drive the truck up on blocks to assist in getting the air out of the angle rams easier.

The packing nut might be too tight as well.

Check that all the spade terminals are on the coils/valves snuggly.

Check PSI....Here's how, check manual-Page 76

I had a nightmare of an XLS back in 08ish....video My old thread. What you're experiencing is minor in comparison and easily rectified.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm pretty sure they did....don't quote me, but I think it was in 2010-2011. My 3rd XLS had the bigger ram.

The 9.5 XV2 is heavier than the XLS I believe.
  9. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

So I have been busy with other jobs, but I have finally gotten back to this plow. I had a pressure test done on the plow. I am only getting 1250 lbs of pressure when I need 2250 lbs to lift. In the next few days I will get around to adjusting the pressure and reseating the ball bearing in the valve. Fisher says this should be done before I purchase a new pump. I really appreciate Fisher helping me out, and recommending a few steps to try before I spend the money on a new pump.

I will post and let everyone know the results.
  10. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

Oh ya, they also did say that the 1 3/4" ram may not be strong enough and to look at putting the 2" Ram on. The newer XLS blades now come with a 2" ram.
  11. George C

George C Senior Member

Sorry guys,
    My comment was referring to the lift, not the ram.

According to the sticker, my XLS that was build in July. It still came with the small bore standard size lift. As I said, I exchanged it for the 1 3/4" lift from the XV2.
    Fisher shows this as an accessory for the XLS, which is heavier than the XV2.
    Makes no sense, and cost me a couple of hundred for something that should have come standard.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. George C

George C Senior Member

The 8.5 and the 7.5 are lighter, and have the 1 3/4" lift.
    In my case, by the time you add the shoe kit, rubber deflector, and the extra cutting edge, you are a lot heavier than the 9.5 XV2.

The XLS lift brackets are designed for the 1 3/4" upgrade because there is a ton of side to side slop with the standard lift, where the 1 3/4" lift fits like a glove.
    My point is that Fisher should simply outfit the lift cylinder correctly, and save the small cylinder for the small plows.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  13. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Is the 1 3/4 ram now standard on the XLS? Does not say it is an accessory for the XLS. Only the other plows.
  14. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

So I was able to get at this Plow today. I reseated the pump relief valve ball bearing, then I tightened the relief screw all the way in. Backed it out 2-1/2 turns and still wouldn't lift. Next I tried only 1-3/4 turns out and it worked perfectly. Played with it and settled on the 1-3/4 Turns out. Looks like the problem is solved. I will probably go back and have the dealer check the pressure just to double check, but I am fairly confident this is going to solve the issue. Fisher was awesome at helping me out with suggestions to try before playing the re-n-re games with parts or pumps.
  15. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

This has nothing to do with the OP's thread. Glad that you put on a new cutting edge.