1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS & My bad day!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Dec 10, 2009.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

So I bought an XLS, picked it up last week. Used it this weekend on a 6" storm, then again with a 10" storm yesterday.

This weekend I noticed it starting to lift hard. It would go up about half way, then "bottom out", I could back up and hit the button again and it would go up the rest of the way. I called the dealer Monday who said it was an "odd issue" were there were no other issues. He said that he would call Fisher and get back to me on Wednesday.

Well, we got hit with a storm yesterday. I went out and did my first account experiencing the same thing here an there. I then went around the corner to my second account, Same thing on the first couple of passes. Then all of a sudden, nothing, right to left, and wings all perfect, but the lift arm goes up till the slack is out of the chain and thats it. I take my finger off the button and the ram retracts......WTF :realmad: .

Of coarse there is no snow banks to speak of to short chain the plow. Ripped the sh!t of a new customer's lawn. I jumped out and looked it all over, no leaking fluid, all tabs connected to there respectful coils, fluid is up to snuff, swapped to my new back up controller.....had to be the cartridge. Then the phone rings the very second I stood up from putting the pump back together...it was my dealer. Boy did he call at the most opportune time. I blasted him. He picked the absolute worst time time to call, I hadn't even had a chance to reason with myself let alone them.

Snow is due to transition to sleet / freezing rain in 2 hours at this point, and I only have 2 of my accounts done. Ended up plowing a mile and a half of town road to get home. Floor jacked it, and headed for my local dealer (not who I bought it from either, there an hour and a half away on a good day.) 2 hours in the waiting room, and 1 hour in the shop, S2 cartridge replaced, all systems checked out, and good to go.

I get back to my next account and everything is working fine, that is for the plow. There was 10" of snow that was now getting saturated with freezing rain and rain. Got stuck twice. Which is a first for me in a very long time.

I got to my next account......Damn plow is acting up again!!! :help: :cry:

$5k plow and this is what I get!?!?!

Has anyone else with an XLS or Xtreme V experience anything like this? :mad:
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow that really sucks. We did get a lot of snow yesterday too. Its these types of stories that make me never want to wander away from the equipment I "know". I hope it gets figured out for you man.
  3. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm sure it will....otherwise it will be at there door step before the 30 days are up.

Ottisfield huh......rough roads out that way. I used to plow for P&K now and then in there wrecks.
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Ryan- sorry to hear that man- Was looking forward to some pics of that bad boy. Hopefully you'll work the bugs out. Keep us posted-:drinkup:
  5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks, Will do. All the stickers are gone already. No biggie, but I was hoping they were going to stick around for a bit. I'll snap a few pics soon.
  6. plowguy43

Roads? More like ruts with some pavement thrown in the middle. Plus most all of the drive's are gravel or dirt.

I'm on the Casco line so I actually travel to Windham for everything. I've actually kept an eye out for you and your truck while driving around but never see it/you.
  7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

me too, i was hoping to hear a good report on your xls and see nice pics of it on your truck
  8. jmainel1

jmainel1 Junior Member

Good luck, I have had bad problems with my 1 yo 8' Western pro Plus I just posted a thread for

Western Pro Plus Blown Angle Cylinder Drifting Problem

WESTERN/FISHER SUCK they honor nothing in the Warranty and blame everything on abuse!!! Guess my next plow will be a BOSS...
  9. FordFisherman

from 06611

I might have an extra set of stickers left over from my MM1 rehab (they sent a whole set)- if I do they're yours:drinkup:
  10. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

You can say that again....I always stick to the saying Keep It Simple Stupid I'll take a conventional straight blade any day

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

I appreciate it bud, but Fisher is sending me a replacement set for free. I'll wait to put them on until spring and use a heat gun.
  12. FordFisherman

from 06611

No problemo
  13. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

What a bummer. I am really sorry to hear that you had such a awful time. But you will get it worked out, and that plow will pay dividends. I will NEVER purchase another straight blade. Having a plow that increases productivity dramatically is worth the extra trouble.

Did you bleed the hydraulics really well? I know that you must fill your reservoir with pistons fully collapsed until overflow, and then bleed it a series of times by operating all of the pistons, and relieving air pressure.

Maybe that's got nothing to do with your trouble, but I have had issues with it before.

I really hope it gets straightened out soon man.
  14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry to hear that man. This what I was worried about as well. My old Speedcast works pretty well. If you have a motor that runs in your truck- you can plow!!!
    Will be getting that XV pretty soon and I swear if I drop 5 grand for something that doesn't function- I will be BS like you were. Luckily, I don't have any accounts to stress about. Hopefully you get it worked out and can post some pics of the new plow in action!
  15. RepoMan207

from Maine

I know what you mean. From what I have got out of this plow, it's absolutely phenomenal. The time on my bigger lots, and private roads has decreased by half if not more on certain ones. The versatility has not let me down. I just hope this isn't going to be an on going thing.

The Fisher Tech called me back tonight is advising me to have a dealer replace both the S2 & the S3 cartridges this time. I'll bring it in tomorrow and drop it off.

I had my dealer put it together last week. I didn't have anytime or a garage until this weekend to do it myself. I'm pretty confident there isn't any air in there. My dealer has one guy that assembles & preps plows, other then selling fisher parts, thats all he does all year round.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  16. plowguy43

Those plows definitely seem to be the best for parking lots- extending to 10' and becoming a scoop is huge when doing a large area. I hope this is just a fluke issue and your good from now on. You purchased this brand new right?
  17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I had the pump & wiring replaced last year on my XLS. Basically because it wouldn't push the cylinder all the way up, & it burnt out to say the least.
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's disturbing. We'll see what happens, but if this doesn't fix my issue I'm going to be that guy that no one wants to see in there office until they either rectify the issue, or give me my money back.
  19. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I hear you on your troubles I bought the X-treme v this year been in the shop 3 times . Once for a bad pump seal when it was fresh out of the box. Now 2 times for the spring loaded attachment pins working there way out they were told by tech line to grind burrs off of the mount did nothing to help now they are going to replace the mount next week, Hope that fixes it. Other wise they had a XLS sitting there and I said I was going to take that to try it to see if it is the plow. They told when ever I wanted to try it come get it. Wish it was Stainless. Sorry about the hijack first new plow a lots of problems. O yeah also a bent center cutting edge. The fun continues.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Umm, I hate to say I told you to look at the red ones.....

Or a Blizzard. Or a Sno-Way.