1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher XLS LOOOONG standing issues please help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by getsum, Dec 27, 2015.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

hey guys, im posting out of desperation here. iv researched my a$$ off and thrown more parts than i can think of at my XLS and im still having issues. this is going to be my 4th season with lift issues with this plow, iv done 5 pumps, 4 motors, solenoids, vent caps, plow side wiring, grounds, new controller, re adjusted all valves and still hesitates to lift. im a small owner operator and can not afford to just get another plow or throw $1,600 for a damn power pack on this thing but im lost. yesterday in the yard i lifted it maybe 10 times up and down and my + pos power cable got hot. it only has this issue with lifting the plow. all wings, side to side movements are fine. i was going to try a new module, quill and possibly valve? its been to the local dealer after almost every storm the last 2 years. it also times controller out before the wings fully extend as well as trying to lift it up. im at a loss here. im going to re trace all wiring again tomorrow before the storm but its killing me. ANY ANY advice would be appreciated here thanks.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What does the dealer say/do each visit?

3. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

its a "well it could be this". "lets try this" and "oh sounds like its this"

they have done everything but the power pack and i think are at a loss as well

if i have to drop $1600 on it im going to cry.
    its ridiculous fisher will not let you buy anything but the whole unit

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I would go to a different dealer. Drop the truck off and have them test hydro pressure, etc.

5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Well went to the only other dealer around and requested I turn up the pump pressure. Did that and didn't notice a difference. I'll get to try it tomorrow and we shall see. Might try bigger alt as well. My yellow top drops from 14.2 down to 10 by the time the plow is raised and takes 7-10 seconds to reach 14 again

Trying to get my hands on a XV2 next week. Done with this xls

6. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

This sounds too easy, but have you double checked all of your connections? Your positive wire getting hot after 10 lifts is a red flag, bad/dirty connection. you could have a corroded cable that looks perfectly clean on the outside. check that out good and get back to us!

7. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Well we are missing the basic test, pressure. If it is not making pressure you can throw the kitchen sink at it and it won't lift. I have a customer that has V plows and was always having me throw motors at his plows for lack of lifting. I asked him to let me diagnose them. When he finally let me two just needed adjustment and one the pump could not make the pressure. If you service you own plows the pressure test should be in your tool box.

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Think it cost me about $50 or so from slammazon..

[​IMG]

After rebuilding my plow, I needed to know if the pump was set correctly from the factory. It wasn't, and it was a western pump.

[​IMG]