1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS gone gaga.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MNPLOWCO, Feb 1, 2014.

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

Hey all you geniuses out there. Trouble shoot this one.
    Fisher XLS 810 (new)
    Gmc 2500 HD New 2013 Snow prep package
    160 alt.

The plow worked perfectly for 7 plowing events. As stated "band new".
    Now, this issue. Last plowing the plow would sometime not react to the
    fish stick (controller). Tried to lift blade...had hesitation, then it lifted. It happened many times.
    Yesterday (this plow event) the power light starts blinking on the controller ( this tells me it is not communicating with plow). Nothing works/ up/down//side/wings…nada. I get out and check connections. All good. Get back in truck…oh, it works now. A couple properties later…same. Then I notice my float (green light) is on as well as the red light steady. Drop blade. It goes half way down only after I push the up button and the float light goes out and then push down button and the blade stops half way down and the red light starts blinking. So, get out of the truck but as I put the truck in park the red light goes steady and I put the plow down to continue. I get to the end of my push to lift the blade and no go again. Red light blinks. Put the truck in park, and the light goes steady and I lift the blade……For Three FRIKN hours I had to put the truck in park and back into drive at ever lift and drop. I know its electrical and the tranny had nothing to do with the plow. I notice my door locks are locking and unlocking with each park and unpark (drive) cycle. I try with just the locks to see if that has something to do with it and that does not work. Just shifting park and drive with every cycle of up and down. ???????? Help if you can. Cysteel truck equip. (where purchased) has no idea except they are ordering me a new electrical unit. Also my Bat/chrg gage is low to a drain with this as well. But when the plow is not in operation it is fine. I know I have to check the alt/ batt/ fuses etc. but no time right now. Just wondered if you guys had come across this to shortcut my efforts. Yes it all has a warrantee, but that take time getting appointment and waiting days and days to get in.

I have now checked batteries and charging systems of the truck…..all ok So the truck and its original components are fine. Now it is just the plow and its integration components that are at issue. HELP

Cheers. :confused:
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try a new controller, Fisher had/has issues with them. Ck where you have your pwr wire tapped into your fuse box might be loose

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

Thanks, I will give it a shot.
  4. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Sounds familiar...........

You may have some sort of blockage in the valve. A shard or something. Even lint from wiping something can effect the flow.

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

Thanks, everything looks clear. I did have a chance to look at it and flow is good. I did have the controller changed out....it helped big time with communication to the plow. No more on and off stuff. I found the motor was pulling a bit more amps... but just a bit than specs and the winner was battery discharge. Two places checked the battery out as "OK". Took it to GM and they said "nope, battery is shot. It will recharge ok but we put OUR load tester on it and it failed. New battery installed (free) and everything is working as it should. So two issues, controller and battery. Thanks for responding.
  6. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

I am having the same issue I believe
    Hesitates to raise especially stacking In a pile,
    Seems to draw serious juice
    Randomly stops working for 3-5 seconds sometimes longer
    red light blinks and float light sometimes comes on.
    Have to rev or drive truck to get working again, and sometimes have to double tap the button you need. The problem got progressively worse ?? And seemed like the more you needed the plow in a small lot it was worse? This sound at all familiar?
    I JUST did a new alternator and yellow top batt a month ago maybe 4 storm events on the new batt and had advanced auto do there "test" on the system and say everything is normal :realmad:
    Hoping to figure this all out ASAP
    Should I get a new battery and controller??
    Just trying to fix it before my next event
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

This sounds really familiar to what happened with Repoman207's first XLS he bought a few years back. They ended up replacing all of the hydraulic pack I believe - not saying that is your problem, just that his was having issues with raising the blade.

Send him a PM - Repoman207 - and I believe he has some Youtube videos of his problems, might want to check them out and see if its the same problem.
  8. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Went to dealer and they had it for a couple hours,
    Told me a loose ground was the issue and they ran the plow to see if it acted up and I'd did not.
    Crossing my fingers it's fixed because we have a foot headed our way Thursday payup