1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS For Central Hydraulic System

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by White Gardens, Dec 26, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Does anyone here have an XLS on a truck that runs central hydraulics.

I really would like to keep my MM2 mount and headgear and just install the XLS moldboard.

My dilemma is utilizing the central hydraulic system in my truck. Right now I have 3 cable operated levers, for a 3 way valve body. One lever is for the dump, and the other two are for the the up/down of the plow, and left/right. I also have the dial controls for my salt spreader.

I'd like to not change the system too much. I know without the joystick controls, I would loose the individual wing movements if I installed one valve to control the wings. That wouldn't be too bad in all honesty as I'm looking more for the boxed in aspects of the plow.

Any Thoughts?

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i dont no how u would for the xls but i did it for my v plow worked out great
  3. White Gardens

Did you end up running electric solenoids for the plow, or do you use valves in the system for the V-plow.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Nick, next time you're over this way let me know. I'll let you run the 810 with it's "antiquated" hydraulic system and controls. It'd be real easy to add the Central Hydraulics manifold just like the SS models used, or the add-on auxiliary manifold shown below for the truck models. The auxiliary manifold still uses the same solenoid valves and controls, just no electric motor or hyd pump on the power unit. The SS manifold didn't have the raise function (used the loader arms), so you could modify it to work with your chain lift system, or else just use the Power Hitch along with the add-on manifold. I used to only like the chain-lift plows, but have absolutely NO complaints with my direct lift system.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. White Gardens

Thanks Johny. I'd like to take a look at what you got.

I called Quality Truck And Equipment this morning and asked them about it. They stated with the XLS that I would have to add two or three more valves in order to get it to work properly so I'd definitively would like to see the old Blizzard setup you have and see if I could make it work. They also stated I'd probably be better off just running an electric pump for the plow.

Even so, I was thinking worst case scenario I could just add one more valve and T the two hydraulic cylinders for the wings together. I wouldn't get individual control over both wings, but I would at least be able to box in the blade when I needed to and retract them when not needed. If one wing would retract or both, I'd just hit the valve and re-position them.

Or...... I could either buy a set of Pro-Wings for cheap, or even build my own wings. I don't think Fisher makes a wing that will easily attach to my plow.
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You could probably do it two ways...
    1: Add an additional cross valve, like in a loader. Use this for Up/Down and Left/Right, then use the two existing valves for individual wing control. This would require 6 hoses off the front of the truck.
    2: Run the electric pump and Fisher controls

In my opinion, individual control of the wings is the main advantage of these plows. Being able to extend the trailing wing and angle the leading wing for windrowing saves a TON of time. Both wings extended in WidePass is also nice, as is BucketBlade, but being able to set them up differently for windrowing is where these plows are really set apart from having a straight blade with fixed wings.

Let me know, I'm on the lookout for another 810 or two anyway. One for a spare, and one for my Uncle's Duramax.

EDIT: I really like the Boss wings, too bad they're about $650 for a set from QTE.