1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher xls dropping too fast

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jguck25, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

My xls is dropping so fast, as if there is no resistance at all. It's done it since I got it, it has actually cracked cement.
    I tried to adjust the quill and it does not make any difference at all no matter what I do to it. It looks like a sheet metal screw and I screwed it all the way in with no difference. It was on the lower left side of the plow manifold, on the backside of the pump behind the plastic cover

What else could cause this?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Deleted. Wish I could help.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It stays raised going down the road?

First, make sure you're adjusting the right one...see attached.

second, pull the Quill, inspect the seal.

View attachment 27375.01_110107.pdf

2560583.jpg

2560583.jpg

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

6. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

I wished I could get on more frequently.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Hey John, where can I get the best deal on XV2 wings? You can pm info thanks.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So does Defcon. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I think I found the problem, I was adjusting a screw in that spot but it does not look like that. I'm not with the plow to verify but it looks like the previous owner filled that hole with a sheet metal screw. I have a picture but I can't add it from my phone, have to get to my computer

10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah it stays raised, but it never used to. When I first got it two years ago it would slowly leak down and I replaced I beleive the s2 and now its fine

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The correct screw on mine was a fairly wide slotted aluminum screw on the left rear partially hidden under some wires.I had to turn it all the way in first and then back it out like a half turn.It's a pain with plow hooked up to find it and get a screw driver on the slot.You have to make sure it's all the way in before you back it out.We just adjusted our 2 new xls's yesterday abd the adjustment range is very small between no drop and fast drop.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Man I hope not. What a mess that would be. Let us know, I'm curious.

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

looks like the correct quill that is in it. I pulled it out and the oring seems fine. I put it back in and even with it completely screwed in, it drops with absolutely no resistance. although it does look like with it screwed in there are still two threads showing. but it goes in very easy with no corrosion.

IMG_20160120_193753570 (1).jpg

14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They must have changed something,my new xls doesn't look like that

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Should turn in all the way, past flush, then you back it out...I think it's a 1/8 of a turn at a time...until desired drop speed is achieved.

Are you saying it bottoms out with threads showing? If so, something's not right.

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yes it bottoms out with probably 3/16ths of the screw still sticking out. Even two threads are still visible. Anyone have a 2012 xls they could measure the quill on? Maybe someone put in the wrong quill?

17. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I do. Send me a pm with your phone number and in the morning I will let you know.