1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XLS back drag blade and sloppy pistons

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gtmustang00, Dec 16, 2013.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Has anyone every fabbed a back drag blade for a XLS Plow? Also, my main pistons seem like they have lots of slop in them, like there is air. Even after using the plow for the whole storm it still has it. I was thinking they have air in them but it should have worked itself out after using it for a whole storm.

The back drag would only be for the main 8ft i'm assuming.

I also have a 9' x blade. Has anyone fabbed up a back drag blade for that?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy backdrags for them pretty cheap.

3. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Where? Thanks.

4. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Also, what are the wear strips and where are they suppose to be (pictures)?

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I have a wideout and I thought the rams were loose too. But after looking at it the holes on the quadrant are ovaled out and making it seem sloppy. I also wanted a back drag edge, but I wanted a hinged style not a bolt on one. Never liked any of the bolt on ones on any of my straight blades. I am not sure how to post pics but I have some on my phone I could email to you.

6. jandjcarpentry

jandjcarpentry Senior Member
    from MA

Just had a hinged back drag made out of a cutting edge. I had 3 ft of angle iron welded in the middle. It snapped in half right after the 3 ft. I hear when u heat up the cutting edges they become brittle. I'm going to have it welded with angle iron the whole length. I used it for 3 drives before it broke. Works unbelievable. Scraps almost as good as going forward.

7. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Was it for a regular blade or a XLS?

8. jandjcarpentry

jandjcarpentry Senior Member
    from MA

Straight blade. I don't think u can put a hinged style on a XLS. Mine bolts to the sides of the frame.

9. gtmustang00

from Berlin

It looks like you can on the 8ft portion.

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Yeah cutting edge gets brittle. I made mine out if mild steel. Then I welded an old cutting edge to the bottom of it for wear resistance. This is how I made my old one for my straight blade. So far on my wideout I have used it for about 3-4 events.

11. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Can you post a bunch of pictures of how it's attached and how it's made? Thanks.

12. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sorry not sure how to post pics I have them on my phone and could email them to you. It is on a wideout not an cold. Where the quadrant pins to the moldboard. I used longer pins and have two tabs there then on the outside rib I drilled a hole and have a tab there as well. PM me your email and I will try to email them to you

13. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Find a location that you can pull your truck up where you can drop the plow completely down to where it is still hanging in the air, like off the edge of a loading dock. Then angle the plow back and forth all the way a few times and this bleeds all the air out of the angling cylinders. There will still be some jiggling left in the plow from the pin clearance's, but there's nothing to do about that.

14. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I fixed that problem by selling it and buying another one lol.

15. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

LOL - yes if it wasn't pin slop, you had air in there. Have seen people have issues with icing up blades because of the moisture that stays with the air as well.

It is a bit of a PITA to get air out of an XLS or an XV if you do not have the back end of the plow higher than the front, even if you cycle repeatedly or use it a few times. Same net effect as PreFabber, but easier to just put a jack under the front engine crossmember to lift up the front end of the truck and the back end of the plow will obviously come with it. Then only lift up the plow 1" so its not scraping the ground, NOT ALL THE WAY. Get out and check to make sure back port on the cylinder is still higher than the front and after cycling you should be able to see minimal hydraulic "takeup".

I am curious about the backdrag on the main portion of the XLS. From what I hear that is the only real complaint on them. If someone wants to email me pics for the XLS just PM me and I'll put them in my photobucket.

16. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

I realize i'm a few mounths off beat ,,,,lol ,, but when i figure out how to put
    Pics using ipad , i will put mine ( XLS ) . I got a hinge back blade welded on,,,it works
    very well, i also have a cutting edge on it.

17. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Would love to see - same offer stands, if you want to email me (PM me for email address) and I can put on my photobucket.

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Here are the pics from F250/XLS - sorry for some reason they keep auto-rotating back to original, despite fixing on my computer before uploading and AGAIN when on photobucket... I don't see what stops the motion of it folding forward when backdragging, except maybe just that OEM 1/8" crease on the back against the width of the tabs welded onto the backdrag, just doesn't see like a large surface area for contact?

Would also like to see the setup Tony350 has...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Haven't seen them made that way. I was going to have a tab welded almost where the warning sticker is, and then it would hit the spring mounts. Same way my 9x is.

20. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Cool tks for posting,,, that instalation was made by Twin Equipment in Ottawa
    Those guys sell , make , fabricate , everything for the city of Ottawa .
    The action of backdraging with that set up is like using a knife , it does a very
    Good job.will take pics when we get snow ,,,,its been raining for two days.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014