1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher XBlade on F550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scrap1941, Feb 2, 2012.

1. scrap1941

scrap1941 Junior Member
    from IL

I'm looking for feedback on the Fisher Xblade, I,m looking at putting a 9 foot on a 2012 F550.
    Does anybody use this plow and how do you like it. I.m concerned about the aggressive cutting angle and how does the plow hold up this is a fleet vehicle so it will have multiple drivers. The plow will be used primarily for residential courts and a few side streets. My other option is a Fisher MC which is a much heavier plow. I need to stick with Fisher because the rest of our fleet is Fisher HD's.
    Thanks for your input,
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have a XV on my f350 and love it. Pretty much same plow except mine has a hinge in the middle. So far like the the cutting angle and trip edge.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the MC blade. It is made for roads and if that is what this truck is going to be used for most of the time I believe it will hold up better then the X blade. I would even think of putting the 10ft MC instead of the 9. I think you would just need to get a permit to drive it on streets due to the width.
  4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I talked to a dealer in NY by me about putting an X Blade on my Ram, he said theyre great plows but since the attack angle is so severe the blade might chatter alot on un even pavement.
  5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I have seen one in my area, I believe it is used to plow side streets and the fire station for the town. If it was me, id go with the X blade, they have a lot better resale later on than the MC and you can't beat the look of the X blade either!
  6. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

I have 2008 f 550 hooklift with 9 ft x . It kicks balls. Scrapes better backstage. Than rainforests. Has center punch blade so when worn buy a bolt kit and flip it.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'd stay away from the MC, i thought about it for my 550 until i talked to a guy who plowed for the town in that exact setup and he said that the extra weight of the MCs over the HDs or xtremes is too much on the truck
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have 4 F-550's and all 4 of them have the 9ft. MC series on them and I wouldn't consider running anything else. I had an 8ft Xblade on my last pick-up that I ran for 3 years and I never would have considered running one on a 550 that will see multiple drivers and municipal type use. I have had multiple 350's and 3500's all one ton dually dumps and I ran the 9ft Fisher Rd's on all of them and they all didn't hold up anywhere near as well as the MC series does when paired with the 550's.

As for the last posters opinion that was based on second hand info..........it's a non issue. I run the M/C's on my four F-550's and we have never had any repair issues or drivers complaints related to weight. Due to the 19.5'' tires that they are equipped with the 550's are a much different truck in the snow compared to any pick-up or one ton type dumptruck. My suspiscion would be that the negative info the previous poster recieved on a MC on a 550 was related to how it performed in the snow. IMHDAO the biggest thing you can do to make the 550 a better truck in the snow is to run a good quality tire in the front that had lot's of siping in the tread pattern. The Michelin XDE M&S are my favorite.

Another thing to disprove the previous fallacy is that Fisher would never spec a product out for a truck that wasn't capable of handling it. I have been to two of the Factory Authorized Service Training schools and have come to know a few of the FIsher guy's and they and the Co. are so diligent in what they design, test and produce it wouldn't happen.

Go with the MC you won't regret it.
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Never used an MC blade but I have used the one you are looking at. The 9' x blade I used held up just fine on roads, parking lots, driveways and whatever else. I even used it for industrial and never broke a thing. Keep in mind most, but not all, roads are in better shape than just about any industrial parking lot. You may even want to go with the 9 1/2' Vee. I know a few guys that have them and they swear by them. They've even gone so far as to add wings on their Vee's. I think they are somewhere around 11' with wings. That'll clear a lot mote street than a 9' straight blade will. Good luck
  10. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

I love my xblade. Best straight blade ive ever owned and that fisher makes. Way better than the painted hds. The xblade scrapes and stacks the snow the best.
  11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The Xblade is a great blade but given my experiences ad my HDAO it isn't built rugged enough to withstand the forces a 19500lb GVW truck is going to throw at it the way that a M/C series would.
  12. CCL LLC

CCL LLC Junior Member

I have 2 x-blades that I use for driveways, parking lots, and private roads. These plows have help up to everything.