1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher X Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjk039, Feb 23, 2003.

1. mjk039

mjk039 Junior Member
    from PA

I was wondering if any one has bought the new stainless steel fisher plow and if so, what you thought about it? I have an old Fisher plow and was thinking of something else heavy duty and heard about this new X plow from fisher.
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I have seen them they look nice and seem to be well thought out . I was told they werent making a lot of them ???
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

They are listed as Limited Edition in Fisher information flyers.

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I have an 8' and a 9' X blade. So far so good, I like the blade height a lot, and the MM2 setup. I did manage to knock a brace at the edge of the plow loose,(I just caught it on a pole while backing up at about 5mph) it was a very poor weld, but an easy fix. I have had a couple minor problems you run into with any plow...a selenoid and a hydro line but nothing with the blade itself. It's a real nice plow, the only downside I've found is it's like a mirror in the headlights, considering it will always be silver and shiny and never need painting I'll live with the glare, it's only a problem when there is a lot of snow on the ground and you have to carry the plow high to keep it out of the snow. I have about 300 hours on the 8' and about 250 on the 9'. I'm planning to get 2 or 3 more next year. Check one out up close you'll see it was built to last!
  5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Hey there 66,
    Does the snow stick to the stainless like it does to a painted blade??
    Inquiring minds want to know,
    Mark K
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Our town has a 9' X on a F550,theres no telling how many hours or miles could be compiled on that poor thing but it gets beat up and they have no complaints with it,mind you these are not blacktopped roads!All frigged up,rutted up hilly gravel roads,they like it.
  7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

It seems to me that the Fisher X plow was somewhat overrated. Before they came out people were saying how they would be the toughest plow and how using stainless was one of the smartest ideas. Then once the X blade hit the showroom people were not as interested. Could be the price difference, however to this day I have only ever seen one and it was sitting in my dealers showroom. Personally if I was in the market for another straight blade I would seriously consider the X blade and just don't understand why they're not that popular.
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I cannot believe it would be a price thing,it wasn't that much more than a steel plow,unless it really was an extremely limited build i really don't know why they did not take off,i have only seen one to date and like i said the town loves it,this is after 2 seasons of nothing but trouble with a 9.5 Fisher V.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I hope that the fisher X is not like the homsteader.I just saw a brand new one on a truck and on one side the blade is bent back with a crease in the middle of the moldboard.Not a very sturdy plow if you hit a curb or rock to bend the blade??
  10. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

The X-blade isn't even in the same league as the homesteader, the x-blade is stainless steel and heavy-duty and the homesteader is plastic and meant to be used by homeowners. I have a homesteader that I use on my wifes explorer and it is a excellent plow as long as you know its capabilities, I used it for 22 hours last saturday and it ran perfectly. I can't imagine what you could hit to bend it in half because if you hit a curb or hard snow pile it trips the whole plow down so they must of hit something while the plow was all the way raised. I think that the x-blade would be a big seller if it was offered as a v-blade because the design is excellent and it is a great plow but a v-blade is more productive than a straight blade and most commercial plowers want the most productive plow they can get. I have used the x-blade and it is a great plow but I will wait till they come out in a v-blade before I get one.

internet pictures 055.jpg
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Was not on my truck but i just could not belive what i saw and your right it should of triped .But who know i really got to ask the guy if i see him on how he did to it.
  12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

speedracer241 No the snow doesnt stick to the plow much at all. It rolls the snow very nice, a little different curl then the other fisher blades.

I doubt anyone could bend an X blade in half, not unless you put it on something way to big for the plow like a loader or a class B truck.

from NJ

I saw the X blade at the trade show in NJ on the 26th, yesturday.. It was impressive looking. The guy said they were about $4000.oo bucks.. ugh... thats alot for a straght blade 8' plow.. and It weighs in at over 900lbs.. So the applications are limited... they had it on an F350 mason dump..

As far as snow sticking, Ive got a new Western pro and its' got some new poly paint on it and I have not had that much snow sticking on it.. only problem with snow is it sits on top of the U edge...............
  14. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Anyone have a comment on how the appearance of the stainless steel X-Blade holds up after being subjected to the abrasive salt , sand and whatever .....does it keep the clean brushed look ?????
  15. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Just my opinion but I think that it is a little too early to determine whether if the stainless blade finishing appearance stand up to the severe conditions or not, because they have been only out for one year. I would expect that most of us who have yellow Fisher blade still have its original finishing appearance after the first year you bought it (with perhaps a few very minor scratches - nothing that would be noticeable), unless someone use it alot or being hard on it in a season. I think that a reasonable time frame to test out these products would be at least 3 years, but I would not really start to base the opinion until after 4 or 5 years of good usage. It seems to be a reasonable time frame before you can comment on these products.

I think that a majority of them who have used the X-Blade last year would still have its original finishing appearance. But we will leave it up to those who actually uses them, to comment about it. :)
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It is a stainless plow. A snowplow. It is built for work. Of course it is going to get scratched. Who cares??? It will not rust or have bad paint. My stainless spreader has scratched but has no rust and that is what is important to me.
  17. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I was inquiring to see if the new "finish " stayed with the x blade or if it went down hill quickly . My machine shop experience lets me appreciate the fine look of brushed stainless. I do care how my equipment looks . I know i could have a horrible looking truck that is mechanically perfect or a OLD plow that works great but looks like its been through a war . I just choose not to . Everything tied to snowplowing is worked hard . That doesn't mean that you just let it go downhill with abandon This equipment isn't cheap why not care about the longevity of its aesthetic properties ?
  18. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

IF you don't the like look of the stainless. You can now get it mild steel. I personally would spend the extra $300 on the X blade over the poor scraping HD blade.
  19. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The straight fishers are going for about the same as the westerns maybe a little cheaper an 8'6" straight western was 3600 installed and iceman jsut got one on his 2500hd for about 4100 or so he said. I cant see price being that big a difference. I think that it jsut takes time for a peice to get out into the public espeacially something that is unproven and new. Everyone wants to talk to another guy that has it before they buy so once they get some out there they'll spread fast. JMO