1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher X-Blade problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by E&B, Feb 20, 2005.

1. E&B

E&B Member

Has anyone else had any problems with the moldboard on there X-Blades? Fisher has replaced mine 2 times now and the new one is now breaking. I have noticed very poor quality control with them in the past few years. Even the new parts I get are missing welds from the factory. I've got to say, I've had Fisher for years on all my trucks but I think it's time to change to a more competent manufacturer. Any suggestions? I plow city streets, parking lots and residential driveways with a 03 F350.
  2. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

My stainless steal moldboard is rusting! WTF - damn thing is only 2 months old!
  3. E&B

E&B Member

you can clean rust stains off the stainless. The stainless itself doesn't rust.
  4. E&B

E&B Member

Does your blade have reinforcing on the sides of the X's?? Also you should look for the center pivot pin making contact with the trip edge (it eventually broke my a frame). These plows are prone to problems.
  5. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Not a bit of problems with mine, scrapes better than any plow I have owned, rolls snow better as well. One gripe why did they not use stainless bolts so the rust would not be an issue. Guess it will clean off the stainless but still would have been nice.
  6. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

This is my second season with an X-blade. I have had no problems with the manufacture of the blade, welds, or other structural issues. I have noticed that the bracing on the back rusts and it comes out on the steel. I have to clean it and scrub it twice a year with commercial stainless steel cleaner to keep it clean in the back. Also I have had the problems with the top bolts on the board not being stainless and seeing them rust.

Other than that I love this blade. It scrapes great. I do mostly commercial accounts and I would have to say that my lots "dry out" (clear of snow) faster than some of the other accounts when the sun comes out because of the scraping of this blade.
  7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I bought one a few months ago from a guy that bought it new in Nov. 2003. I've plowed with once so far this year (the big blizzard that hit NJ) and it plowed great. Yeah, there are some rust stains on the backside of the stainless, but other than that, it's been a great plow. I've only done (2) things to the plow to make it better. First, when I first installed it on my truck, I noticed the "chatter"/noise from the stainless moldboard was too much for me. So, I went out to Home Depot, but some foam pipe insulation, cut some small pieces and mounted them between the ribs and backside of the moldboard. Then I secured the lower edge of the moldboard to the 1/4" flat steel support that is mounted behind the moldboard using (8) 1/4"x1" stainless carriage bolts & nylon-locking nuts. These (2) mods really shut the thing up good. Next, since mine was built prior to Fisher adding the rib and trip spring plate reinforcements, I decided I would add them myself. Using a new plow as a reference, I figured out what material I needed, took measurements and welded everything up.
    I hope everything works out in the end for ya. I too have always owned Fishers (with the exception of 1 Blizzard 810) and have been really happy them. Hopefully they'll make a few tweaks here and there on the X-Blade and improve on an already good design.

8. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Stainless cleaner

I don't have an X-blade, but I would think that if you use stainless cleaner/polish stuff on it to keep it from building up. I would do it after every use, but we only get limited snow. I would think you would have to do it more if you use it all the time cause you actually get some snow. :mad:
    I guess a little more maintenance with stainless, but rust is not a factor.

9. E&B

E&B Member

I've attached some pictures that I had when I did have problems. These are the things you should be looking for if there is going to be a problem. Missing welds is probably the biggest issue. Maybee this plow isn't cut out for streets but fisher assures me that its the strongest plow they make.

10. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Think you got one built on Friday at 4:50, think it is an exception and not the rule. Everyone I know that has an X blade absolutley loves it. Personally I will never buy another powder coated plow.
  11. E&B

E&B Member

I would love to believe it but i'm going on my 5th moldboard and the one my dealer just ordered in for me is missing 2 welds on the X's. I think I'm at the point of just saying screw it and pulling out the welder myself.
  12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I would be pissed if i was on the 5th moldboard i would complain to Fisher directly.I havnt heard of many problems with the x blade but there is no reason you should be on the 5th one.
  13. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Throw away that junk plow and get a real one. Get a Boss where quailty is # 1. That plow looks very old in the photos. The bolts have extensive rust, If not that old why are the bolts so rusted. Thats not right.
  14. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I think a call directly to Fisher is in order.I have dealt with them for over 20 years, bet they would make it right.They are good people up there.
  15. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Fisher plows are hardly junk ...they are one of the top plows in the market.The x balde is fairly new maybe it has a few bugs to work out.I know many people very happy with the same plow.
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

good i will just get a reg hd plow
  17. E&B

E&B Member

The rust on the plow was like the proverbial icing on the cake for me. I bough this plow brand new in Nov 2002 when they first came out. I plowed with it about 2 months and noticed the breaks so I called Fisher. They instructed me to take it to Chase Auto in Chicopee MA. (by the way he's an a## to deal with) He proceeded to tell me that I abuse my equipment and thats why it was broken. Upon inspection from a Fisher rep he informed Chase that the factory had missed multiple welds on the frame and instructed him to replace it under warranty which he did but I didn't get the plow back until Nov 2003. He said it was because Fisher wasn't manufacturing any X-Blades until the fall, luckily I have a spare 8'HD blade that I bought used for a spare so I don't have to rush fixing something in 10 deg., snowy, wet weather. Chase told me it would be stored over the summer in his warehouse. I didn't realize his "warehouse" was outside fenced in behind his shop. Talk about pissed!! Sorry so long, needed to vent.