1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher X-Blade Performance Result?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Jan 26, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

For those owners/users of Fisher X-Blade, if you have use them yet, how was it? How would you compare it with Fisher standard HD yellow plow? Anything that impress you or that you like about? Just would like to hear some feedbacks. Just curious. :D
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea everyone hurry up and give him some good details so he can go out and buy himself a nice new Fisher for his nice new Chevy HD! :D Mike :waving:
  3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

What advantage does anyone think it will ofer?
  4. hoagie

hoagie Member

Don't have one but...

No rust SS, better attack angle, center punched edge, better foiling action.

Anyone know the price difference from a HD to X?
  5. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

When i priced the Xblade in NH it was about a 350-500 difference in price. In mass Ive seen it on a new truck at Duddie ford for $6000+ i was like wow they are nuts. I ve found a place in rye for it installed $3900. The blade is also a few inches higher and will make more noise when plowing. The bolt on cutting edge ($80 option on yellow) is standard.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Our town bought one this year to replace a 2 year old 9.5 V which was junk from day 1,on it's final day in service the plow completely fell apart,both wings were sitting in the middle of the road,so far they seem to like the x blade,it looks a lot more durable.
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL, a 2 year old Fisher V fell apart?? Whats with these Fisher V's not being strong? Lately Im reading alot of negative posts about them, now I see why Dino says the Western V is better and stronger. If Westerns V is stronger than Fishers V, does that mean Westerns straight blade is stronger than Fishers straight blade? I know they are both put out by the same compnay, how can one be not nearly as good as the other? Mike
  8. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

We have been running fisher blades (v and regular blades) for the last 6 years and they have been very reliably. I don't see why the x-blade would be louder than the HD blade since the cutting edge is the only thing contacting the ground they should both sound about the same. I have ten fisher blades in my crew and we haven't had any problems with any of them so I wouldn't be to worried about buying a fisher because they are well built and extremely reliable.
  9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The trouble seems to come on the 9.5 V's on the bigger trucks,like the F-550 with the high capacity sanders which are then probably overloaded but i know a local contractor with an F-450 with no sander and his 1 year old V blade buckled on both sides last year with only 3 plowable events,there are certainly a few bad ones out there.BTW, i am not bashing Fisher,thats all i have ever run!
  10. nben

nben Senior Member

Been running a fisher 9.5 Vee for three seasons now and have been very happy with it. It was a pre-regular production plow and Fisher did do some updates late in the first season (factory rep. came to our shop from Rockland and did them himself!). Also,we have two 8.5 vee Fishers and have had no problems as of yet. I have seen a few at the dealer that were pretty torn up. Probably try a Western vee next time around. I like the idea of the stops on the 8.5'. Funny thing is, our 9.5' Fisher has bolt on stops, but the 8.5' has nothing.

The X-blade is probably louder because the skin isn't welded to the rear braces like the mild steel ones. It would seem to me (I haven't used one) that the skin would vibrate against the rear braces and make a bit of noise. Seems like a small price to pay for the SS skin!

Edit: got thinking about it and we got the 9.5' in 99, so this is the 4th season with it. Sorry:waving:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I'm not surprised of that x plow pricing difference when you got a price from Duddie
  12. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I have never actually priced one out so I don't know what the price difference is up here. I have never seen one anywhere except on my dealers show room floor. Seems like they're not as popular as everyone thought they would be. It seems like a good idea and design, but I find more and more people are going with V plows. I guess they figure if they're going to spend that much money on a straight plow why not spend the extra $500 or so and get a V plow. Now if Fisher came out with an SS V plow (resonably priced) they would probably sell a ton of them.
    Just my thoughts.
  13. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

I talked with one of the fisher reps last summer and he said that they might be making a stainless steel v-blade for next year, if they do I would buy one in a second.
  14. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Duddie is the only dealer you need to show up with a jar of vaseline. they'll show you how to use it too..

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Madden might also be on that list, real arrogant down there :realmad: .
  16. hoagie

hoagie Member

I got one of my trucks at Madden Ford... and actually they are very easy to deal with... I got a truck off the lot for $500 over dead invoice. I would definetly go back when I need another.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Things may have changed since I was last there ( I think 98) when I had a sales man tell me an 8' Fisher mm cost them 3550. Thats when i mentioned I could get the same plow installed for 3200 and I was buying one at a time, not a hundred or more for the season. He insisted that was his price and they would mark it up only a hundred:rolleyes: . I can't stand sales people who insist on living in a fantasy world. I have not been back since and have had others tell me about similar experiences with them. But glad you got what your looking for.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2003