1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher X-Blade and Gravel, UGH!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Aug 25, 2004.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Yup, I just bid on another Comm. with a Gravel back lot. I see opportunity and $$$ flash before my eyes and well you get the picture.

My experience from last year tells me that I need to do something to keep from burying the blade in soft gravel. Last season one of you posted an idea that you were working on using the stock x-blade curb shoes to make skids of sorts to float your blade. This is what I want rather than packing snow as with some of the other ideas on this site(ie angle iron edge). The seacoast can get real warm making a post storm mess almost inevitable. Removing snow is key. Any further info would be great.

Secondly, experiences good or bad with add on wings,scoops etc would help me decide how to move snow through the back gravel lot to a stacking area. And yes, I've heard of front loaders :rolleyes: . And no, I don't care what Fisher thinks of add-ons:D

Thanks in advance
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Go to your dealer and pick up 2 Shoe Tube Holders(under $15),you'll probably have to trim the a little to fit but weld them on your trip edge and run shoes were needed.
    Guys here love their X-blades on blacktop but they can get a bit aggressive on gravel.
  3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Arc Burn,
    That would work but I would like more surface area. So I was thinking that something like Tur-key wings which look like the ends on a box scraper tractor implement could kill 2 birds. All I would have to do is weld on 1"x1/2" skids the length of the end caps,on the bottom of each side. My blade could still trip. Cornering could potentially rip one off though. The idea comes from my old Kuhn EL60 tiller which has sacrificial large radius skids to help float and protect the unit. The tiller's depth is controlled by big flat steel wheels. Then again I tend to over complicate things;) .
  4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

around here we just pick the plow up a little and leave like a 1/2 inch or so....
  5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I've been doing that (raising the plow)and made it though last winter that way. In warmer weather though the tires may sink in different spots thereby engaging the edge or worse, just a corner of the bottom so not enough to trip the plow but enough to make it feel like you are going to rip the plow off sideways.

I didn't get the second gravel acct this week anyway so that helps some of the problem. I guess I accounted for the gravel to well on my proposal. And also his desire to put all the snow on a currently very wet(marsh) corner of his property.