1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher WONT MOVE

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Jan 2, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

My fisher plow wont raise or angle, but it did drop when I discovered the problem. The solenoid has power. WHAT DO I DO?!?!

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

What kind of pump? You need to provide more details.

3. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

wiggle all el plugs....does pump run?

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

If you pump is running, sounds like there is something wrong with coils or cartridges. I once had this problem on a fisher plow I used to own, now my friend owns it. We removed all the cartridges under the coils, and found a little piece of metal binding one up, it was stuck in the screen. I removed this piece of metal, changed the fluid while I was at it, checked the filter screen in the resivoir while I was at it, and all worked well.

Heres a thread on it http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=30790

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thnx ill take a look at that

6. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

You didn't actually say the pump is running. You said the solenoid has power, but does it have power on the plow side when activated? For $15 it wouldn't hurt to replace the solenoid just to elimnate it as the problem. It will need replacing eventually anyways.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Or spend $60 and put a heavy duty one on and you won't have to replace it again.

Big thing IS the motor running now when you are trying it.

If yes it's a control issue. IF NOT then you need to first run a set of jumpers from the battery to the motor and see if it's any good or not.

J

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

so i can just run my regular jumper cables from battery to the terminals on the motor? won't there be too much power and it could burn it out?

9. Jerre Heyer

Well if the motor is shorted out AND you keep them on there too long you could burn them up. You will see sparks when hooking up but that's the same contact spark that happens in the solenoid when it energizes. Your jumper cables should be heavier than the plow cables for most sets cept for the cheap wal mart ones.

J

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

k i'll give that a try tomorow. so if i do that and the motor doesnt do anything it means its fried?

11. Jerre Heyer

Yep, if the motor doesn't spin then the motor's toast or at least the brush set is.

IF the motor spins then you've got a pump or control wiring issue.

J

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I'm thinking its the motor. It been straining lately and I think it finally crapped out.

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Situation Update

I tested the motor with some jumper cables and it ran, but barely. I was told by someone that my motor my be gone after I described what was wrong. It has been running very slow, and sucks ALOT of power from the truck, now it barely runs with the jumper cables. Its going in to the shop tomorow, we'll see what he says. If it is the motor, where can I get a good deal on one? Or should I have it rebuilt?

14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the condition of Fluid? Check it see if pink and milky.

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

fluid is fresh and blue

16. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

smash the thing with a hammer
    honestly it sounds like the pump to me if its moving really slowly
    did you try the solenoid anyways?
    good luck getting it fixed...might need it wednesday

17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

we think alike kyle. there's nothing you cant fix with the BFH in the tool box.and yeh I talked to a guy that says he can fix it monday, my dealer wanted me to wait til thursday

18. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

yea thursday is way too long
    when my hydraulic hose blew i was sooo pissed lol
    and the other night my drives were anger me at 1in the morning when i wanted to be home so i took out as many driveway sticks as i could with out ripping the lawns
    good luck and let us know how it works out

19. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh man I hate driveways and residentials. you know that though lol. i keep my old hyrdo lines in the toolbox just in case.

20. gary42095

gary42095 Member

if the pump is spinning and the fluid is dead headed against the closed valve would the pump strain? just a random thought