1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Vs. Western 8.5' v plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by campkd6, Sep 30, 2009.

1. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Going back and forth on which plow to buy. Stainless Fisher 8.5' v plow or 8.5' steel western mvp plus. Lets hear your thoughts pros cons. I have always had westerns might try something a little different this time. Only $100 more for the SS Fisher.

Thanks
    BJ

2. Dan s

Dan s Junior Member
    from ct.

they are pretty much the same plow. there is a couple of differences like the truck mount and how the pump is mounted to plow frame but everything else should be the same. for the 100 bucks i would go stainless. it wont rust and no paint to chip off and peel. jmo

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like dan said, they are pretty much the same plow. SS (imo) is the way to go for the little difference in price. My SS still looks like new compared to a steel plow with the same age.

4. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

That kinda the way I was thinking. Stainless is painless.

BJ

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would still go stainless but the only thing I dont like and its very minor is it rattles driving down the road. My fix was I cut a few 2 inch pieces of 3/8 rubber fuel line and slide them under the SS skin....noise gone. Once in a while you might have to replace them but no big deal.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does the Western have the 75* cutting edge angle like the X or XV? The Fisher scrapes really nice.

7. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I think you guys helped finalize the choice. SS Fisher it is going to order it tomorrow. Wanted a little more input as no one I know has a Fisher or ever had one. Dealer is 40 min. away and stocks alot of parts. Really made me a good deal I think to get me to switch from western to the Fisher. Never had a new plow so this will be nice to start the year off with. Thanks for the input.

BJ

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

At the risk of being a party pooper, did you look at Boss? Do you have a Boss dealer nearby?

9. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Seems like I'm the only guy that would take a western... You can't beat the hook up IMO. I have 1 fisher and have been ready to run the bulldozer over it since day 1. haha.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry you're not alone among those two choices ;) or your thoughts. :D

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Never used a Western, or even seen one up close. It couldn't possibly be any worse than the Fisher. Looks like the Boss rules on hookup too.

12. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I agree with you. Ive had both fisher and western. I really like the Ultra mount. Wouldnt go any other way now. Mines 4 years old now and no rust.

I think driveing 80 minutes(there and back) to get a part is excessive to me. Id rather go with a closer dealer so if you do break down your down time is minimal. Less downtime= happier customers.

13. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Not to many dealers that are within 40 min. of driving so thats not a big deal to me.

14. snobama

snobama Member

For what people are paying I think I might attach a 4x8 sheet plywood to the front of my AMC Pacer

15. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

No doubt. It it hard to justify spending $5000 on a plow in these times.
    Not to mention trying to make the right choice on the plow brand.

BJ

16. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Where are you going to order it?

17. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Thinking autoland outlets

18. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I went there to look at a truck a few months ago. PM me the price they gave you, I might get one myself.

19. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

20. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Went and put a deposit down today. Plow will be here in couple of weeks I can't wait.