1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher vs Meyer vs Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NH Plowman, Sep 7, 2016.

1. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

I know this will be a loaded question....... I need help, or at least some real user info on why you like the plow you do. Looking at 8'8" V plows, Xtreme V-MVP Plus and Super V. All three have dealers in town and all three close enough in price. I've owned Fishers up until 2004 when I bought a Diamond 8' and never really had issues with it, but it's time to upgrade. The Western I like the mount. Fisher I like that it's insanely popular here and the dealer is probably better stocked than the other two. The Meyer, I like that the flare as well as the moldboard and support is welded. Looking at videos, it appears that the Fisher has a slightly better curve than the Western, but I can't really compare too well. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with all three.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ford Chevy dodge gmc.
    Same argument that never gets answered.
    Which plow is better will never get answered either.

Randall Ave likes this.
  3. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

I know that's the easy answer. I had always been a fisher guy until fisher ran through a rough patch and dealer support at the time was better for meyer. I'm really looking to find out maybe from the fleet guys if there's any overall pros or cons to either.

4. coke813

coke813 Member

Your best plow will be a matter of your own preference. A curved moldboard will push snow relatively the same no matter what color it is.

My 2 cents: I can only tell you that I selected the one I did because I liked the mounting attachment / receivers more. Each truck/plow combo will have some differences, so I would just tell you to look at all the frames and methods of attachments and pick the one you like best.

PS- I chose Western for the removable receivers, but that may not be a feature you are interested in.

5. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

Thank you, the receivers is one of the reasons I like the Western. Question, is it roughly the same shape mold board as a Fisher? I know the bracing is different.

6. coke813

coke813 Member

The curvature radius and attack angle may vary slightly between brands (I don't have all the specs handy), but I honestly don't think it really affects the performance very much if you are driving a normal size truck at a normal speed. They will all push snow.
    Each manufacturer is trying to make their's perform the best it can.

7. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

Maybe, that's a good question, does someone post a decent spec comparison sheet showing angles and such.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does the radius REALLY matter?
    Attack angel maybe might be a deciding factor,,,,,,but radius......
    I seriously think that's like comparing the size of drinking straws.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Ok I'll jump in. Y'all can attack me as much as you like. I prefer the Meyer. In my area it's the largest brand with the most available parts. I have the Super-V and I love it. It throws the snow extremely well. The hydraulics are way faster now than they used to be. the mold board is very stout. That's my 2 cents!

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned above. Like the others said get the one with the options you want and that have good dealer support for parts.