1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher vs Meyer - differences in how they plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by zimmm, Nov 14, 2006.

1. zimmm

zimmm Junior Member

This will be my first winter using a Fisher plow with a trip edge. All the equipment I have used previously(approx 10 yrs) has been of the Meyer type that the whole moldboard tripped.

Are there any differences while plowing that would be helpful to know? Any tricks or cautions for using a Fisher compared to a Meyer? It is an 8 ft HD plow that I mounted to a 78 F250. It will be used to plow 2 residential drives/parking areas.
  2. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

You Will Love The Fisher They Work Really Well The Trip Edge Works Out Really Good You Do Not Loose The Snow When The Plow Trips The Fisher Plows Are Really Hevey Duty To The Hold Up Much Better Then The Meyer You Will Ove It They Are Also A Lot Faster Then The Meyer
  3. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

Up here in New England Fishers are the only plow to have. When you hit some thing the plow dosent fold over and dump your load. The trip edge is great, and they really scrape and slush off well. You will never want a Meyer again.
  4. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

meeeeeeeeeeeeee i dont like those bottom trips....

you know when you go up to the curb, then you kinda lightly push on the curb with your load of snow to get it up over the curb to stack it, well with the bottom trip the edge folds back and the snow gets trapped in there and keeps the edge folded, also it loses the snow your trying to get over the curb

i like the normal trip style, so much easier to do a nice job when the whole thing trips.....and no getting out to clean out your edge with the corner of a snow shovel...just what ive noticed.....

no doubt the fisher is a monster and those diamond 9 footers are killer plows though,

be careful if you hit something taller than the trip edge.....my buddy did in his 550 ...hit a tall curb..and twisted the undercarriage up into the bottom of the truck, musta been doing 30 at least!!.......i should think that if it were a conventional trip the whole plow woulda tripped and flung itself into the air...
  5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing with only Fisher plows since 1984. I have 8ft rd's, 8ft hd's. 9ft hd's 9ft.mc's and a 10 footer I even have and old 7.5 and NEVER ONCE have I ever had or heard of snow getting trapped in there and keeping the edge from tripping back. What ever you noticed this on had another problem besides snow being stuck someplace.

As far as hitting something higher than the bottom of the trip edge, take one of your meyers and see what height they flop over from. They pivot from only slightly higher than the top of the Fisher trip edge if you hit at the same height or higher there is no difference because your'e not going to get any movement out of that full trip either.
  6. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

i was looking at them side by side earlier in pictures and there about a 4 or 5 inch diff in the heights at tripping, ill copy the pics to paintbrush and put arrows on them when i get some time tomm.

just something ive noticed. i mean for nice long straights or roads theyre awesome, im in no way saying meyers are better..etc, just saying my experiences with the bottom trip sucked.

you cant ever say youve had icy junk or leaves in the snow jam into the trip when its open?? i must have done it 20 times last year and had to park against the curb and clean out the trip...and it wasnt with the same plow either, i had 3 different trucks all with diamond plows as all 15 trucks our branch has are 450s with the same 9 footers

to each their own
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Not once, ever !!!!! That is based on my personal experience with ownership of in excess of almost 20 Fisher plows.
  8. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

The ice getting jammed inside the trip-edge is very common with the DIAMOND trip-edge plows, not the Fisher. That's because the torsion springs that they used were not strong enough to snap the base angle back in place, or the extension springs that they replaced them with were either not strong enough, or had been all stretched out.

Mr. Brickman, you should try a Fisher trip-edge in order to get a real flavor for what it can truly do!
  9. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

ah ha i see...

maybe ill hop in my budies fisher setup and give it a whirl if he ever rebuilds it from when it got squished
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You will love the trip edge! I only owned one other plow and it was a Meyers full trip. This year we bought a Fisher SS V blade (bottom trip as well) and I already hit a few cracks in the pavement that would have made the old plow I had fold completley over, where as the Fisher just jumped up a couple of inches and I kept on going.
  11. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

I think you'll like the fisher compared to the Meyer. But if you had a diamond with the trip edge you wouldn't switch back. The Diamond commercial plows are much more durable than the Fisher, compare them side by side and the Diamond is built with thicker steel and has a meatier trip edge. I do like the looks of the new X-Blades but I would stick with Diamond. Just my humble opinion. I still can't get over someone buying a Fisher because of the yellow triangle lift arm. Didn't see it on this site, yet, but i've heard that reason before.
  12. Adair350

Adair350 Member

I have never plowed with a Diamond But I have Hit some pretty fixed obstacles HARD i.e. manholes, water gates and curbs in roads and Lots with my 8' HD Fisher and it is just as strait as the day I bought it. Other than that I think the meyers is a good plow but the Fisher is stronger and holds up to abuse better over time than a meyer, although the guy I plow roads with used to plow with a western (Fisher now) and I think it scraped slightly better than my HD. Just my opinion:waving:
  13. dsc

dsc Junior Member

meyer -v- fisher

The other thing you'll notice is that the meyer plows like to fall apart under real loads. Great if your trying to perfect your mechanical and welding skills! I had a meyer and paid dearly, then I stepped up to a fisher.
  14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

its real easy to tell the difference is

Fisher - umm Change the fluid every year and its good to go, Nothing ever breaks.

Meyer - better carry every damn spare part you can think off. Cause you are going to need it. Breath on the plow and it don't want to work.
  15. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I hear it time and again about hydrallic problems with the meyer plows. Pumps needing to be rebuilt and such. Havt heard many bad things about fisher.
  16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have plowed with Fishers for years. I have had them all SpeedCast, MM1 and now a MM2. I live in New England and we get some real wet snow storms. And I have NEVER heard of any Fisher plow getting ice and snow stuck in trip edge!!! How could it possibly happen. The springs are so tight and whenever you hit a cap the thing jumps straight up and cleans all snow off plow. So don't come over here and flame Fishers. They are by far the best on the market. As for your buddys 550 bending up his frame. What was he doing 80 and droped the blade by mistake and the catch a sewer cap? Sounds like a moron behind the wheel. Tell your buddy to stop plowing now