1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher vs Boss

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by shaunnshelly, Jul 26, 2010.

1. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

I am in the market for a new V-plow. I currently have a truck with a Boss 9.2 RT2 V-plow that has been awesome. No problems at all. I recently purchased new truck and would like to know if anyone can give me feed back on the Boss 9.2 RT3 XT vs Fisher 9.5 SS Extreme V. I really like the idea of SS vs mild steel. I like the looks of the Boss Light system and XT wings. Price will not be my deciding factor. Durability will be the factor. I will only be using the plow for large comm lots. I do not plow any residential.
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Get the boss.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Remember only the moldboard skin is SS not the entire unit. Do a search on exterme Vs. They seem to be having center hinge pin issues.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

WOW, some good info on Fisher center pin... Interesting...
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a snow dogg. It's as fast as the Fisher and Boss, Reliable as them, has Stainless Skin and amazing customer support for less money. Can't be beat.
  7. plowguy43

Take what 2COR says with a grain of salt, he use's his plow to take down tree's in the off season. Plus he purchased 1000 shares of stock in the Red Plow :)
  8. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

I have 4 9.5' xv plows on my international 4300's and i have been plowing with them for the past two seasons and the only problem i had with these plows is that two of the them the lift ram seal started to leak, besides that these plows have been flawless for me. Also I prefer plowing with a trip edge vs. full trip blade.

I think it's kind of funny that we are in the fisher engineering forum and there seems to be no support for fisher.
  9. plowguy43

They are too big now to care about a forum, honestly.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, that incident happened IN season. The road was icy, which caused the event to start, and the loaded sander help take down the first tree.
  11. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Why do you say that plowguy43? Fisher, and it's two sister brands Blizzard and Western, are the ONLY manufacturers to my knowledge that actually dedicate a week to hosting an Open Forum on this site. We dedicate an entire week to each of the three brands to give all of our customers an opportunity to ask any questions, express any concerns, etc. that they may have. While other manufacturers representatives may pop in and out on occasion, to my knowledge, none dedicate an entire weeks time to hosting an open and public forum.

Additionally, as 2COR and Todd Matson would probably tell you, we do monitor the site constantly throughout the year to make sure our customers are receiving the best possible level of service. 2COR has personally been contacted by members of our technical service team to assist him with an issue that he was having. And, recently I have also had personal contact with Todd Matson and many others in order to assist them with their issues.

John Murphy
    Vice-President, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
  12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I think they both offer great plows...dealer support should be your number one priority in the plow you choose. I hope one of these days Fisher will allow us to sell they're brand as well
  13. plowguy43

You know that your supposed to have your wood cut, split, and stacked before the snow flie's right?
  14. plowguy43

Hey John,

Its mainly because you seem to be silent during our In season time of the year and we never saw anything in such threads as Repoman207's problems with the Fisher XLS. Sure things may have been going on behind the scenes, but the open forum with no comments from you or Fisher, really tarnished your brand image to MANY of the viewers of that thread alone. That on top of the numerous threads about the Xtreme V problems regarding the center pins that have been ignored just further solidifies this fact as well.

If you go to the Snowdogg forum-the simplest of simple questions or problems are resolved almost instantaneously. They also admit and fix known problems with their designs and offer the fixes to their customers at no cost.

In the end, it truly comes down to the dealers, but at the same time, their hands are tied as well.
  15. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Plowguy -

Thanks for your response. There is a proper time and place to address specific individual issues and it is our policy to handle those via what we believe is the proper forum to do that - one of one with the specific individual who may be impacted. As I said, there are many individuals on this board, who via their posting on a particular subject, have been contacted by us and had their issue resolved as a result. It is unfortunate when that occurs, as I'm sure you'd agree, it would be easier for all involved if the issue was handled quickly at the dealer level in order to provide both the highest level of satisfaction, and also to resolve any of these issues as expeditiously as possible, as they often occur during the critical time of the season when the snow is flying.

As for providing a fix for the pin issue and/or providing fixes at no cost; that's exactly what we have done. Resolutions to these issues were put in place nearly two years ago. Additionally, we have extended the warranty to any XtremeV plow owner that may have been impacted by the initial design. All of this has been handled at no cost to the consumer through our warranty program. If your personal experience has been different (and not just what you have read on this site and then run with it unsubstantiated), then by all means let us know, and we will resolve your issue similarly.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
  16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I just want to start out by saying..I love My XLS...Very productive Plow...I have also talked to John and he seems to be a Stand up Guy..I hope to see a present someday on my Front porch from John..Hint-Hint:laughing:....Anyway....The Production of the XLS is second to none and im sure if you ask the Company i sub for they will agree....
  17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Go with the Fisher.:drinkup:
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

John - could you do everyone a favor and elaborate on the re-designed hinge? Maybe post some drawings highlighting the changes?

This is the first I have heard about the warranty being extended.

Thanks, Palmer
  19. plowguy43

Thank you for your response as it is greatly appreciated. In all honesty I've only used Fisher product's throughout the years and granted they have all been older design's (MM1's and an early MM2 on a step fathers truck). I've always thought they were the best built, yet simple in design, plows available. Personally I think the simplicity helps make them more reliable.

Unfortunetly when you start to consider the purchase of a $6000 V plow or XLS type of plow, you start to do your homework or research on them. The internet has made such research very easy to do as you are getting real life answers and opinions from those people who use the products as you will. When I visit other manufacturer forums and they have representatives who jump in and answer questions or offer resolutions to problems, it makes them look much better than those who stay silent and let their customers "air their dirty laundry".

I understand DD is a corporate company and has a policy to work one on one, but when it takes months during the busiest time of the year for their customers to get a permanent resolution rather than a bunch of band aid's, it takes away from your company's credability. So it forces those onlookers to look elsewhere.

"We" may seem like a small ripple in your big pond, but living in Maine I used to only see Yellow, now I'm seeing a lot more Red and even Stainless (though not Xblades).

I truly hope the "redesigned" hinge pin holds up and would also like to see this as it will sway me back towards this plow. I also hope any hydraulic pack issue's are resolved after 2+ years of production as you say.

Thanks again!
  20. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Fishers has a trip blade which I personally like. The chain lift system allows you to short chain it in the event of a failure in hydro lift ram. I have seen some site members aske fisher reps about the poss. of them going to a direct lift system, no chain. I have used the chain system for years and never had a problem. Now I did use a boss plow once, the trip version straight blade and the hydros were faster but and overall It worked well. I have zero experience with a v plow though. I use a fisher 8' and 9' mm2 hd. They have never let me down, just make sure to use some fluid film on the mm2 sysem and it works very smoothley. I am seriously considering a fisher xls for my next plow. I met a fellow u here who has used one for 3 years and loves it, and I belive repo mans issues was solved and he recomended it to me.