1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V wipers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jul 28, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

What are you Fisher V owners using for the wipers that fill the hole in the center of the V? The OEM rubber ones that came with the plow only lasted a few weeks, and the new replacement ones break. I've had pretty good luck with home-made ones cut from an old piece of conveyer belt, they last a little longer then the OEM rubber ones, but cost nothing, other then 15 mins with a utility knife and a drill. Anybody hear if Fisher has got a better idea, or have you found something that works for you?

Bill

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

In case you couldnt guess we use urethane. they work great, installs in about a 1/2 hr and will last as long as the steel edge, if not longer. We use u edges on plow as well, but is not a mandatory.
    Dino

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

4. nsmilligan

JD Plower is this a Fisher Part? I,m interested in how it will work out

Bill

5. JD PLOWER

Yes I believe it is . I can't say for sure , but I asked my dealer for new flaps and he told me this is something new ( in April ) . He said they received to many complaints about the old one's. I would like to try them out myself . BTW 26858 IS THE PART #. JD.

6. plowking35

from SE CT

The problem with that part is that the steel that holds the rubber in place will catch on basin tops and man holes.
    Plus I also remember that part is about 50.00 per piece.
    The u thane piece costs about half of that and wont catch on those objects.
    Dino

7. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

EZ-V Center Flaps

We are currently testing a new design flap that is constructed from recycled steel belted radial tire casings. It seems to be very tough and durable. If the current testing goes well we should have them available during 2002. This is an excellent forum to get feedback from actual users of our products and we certainly take any and all concerns you folks have in a serious manner.

Gary Dwinal
    Product Manager
    Fisher Engineering

8. nsmilligan

Thanks Gary, it's great to know that your out there watching, no amount of in-house testing, can duplicate the real world, especially plowing. Hope this helps you build an even better product!

Bill Milligan

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Hey Gary
    As long as you are reading the forum, how about an update regarding the bending of the box plating where the angle cyl meets the moldboard on the v plows.
    Also what we run is a piece of urethane material 3/4" thick and about 16" long and 6" wide. We just install in place of the old two design, and drill the holes to match. It will bend with the v plow postions with much effort and will last as long as the urethane edge that we also runs, which amounts to about 400 plowing hrs.
    Dino

Last edited: Aug 1, 2001
  10. Gary Dwinal

EZ-V

Hi Dino,
    The "creasing" you are talking about in your V-plow has been an interesting topic around here over the past several years that we have been selling the EZ-V. We have actually tested plows that we have put the "crease" in intentionally both in one direction and also in both directions which actaully makes an X in the box. The results of all of our testing were that it takes a pretty solid impact to put the "crease" into the box section, but if it does happen to your V-plow, there is no degradation of performance and the plow will continue to work just fine. Currently there are no plans to make any design changes to the plow for this reason. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary Dwinal
    Product Manager
    Fisher Engineering

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey,

MR Fisher Rep.

I would like to see a 9' Fisher V-plow for my F 350 DRW Dump Bodies. 8.5' Just isn't wide enough, sorry :(.

Geoff

12. Gary Dwinal

FISHER EZ-V Plows

Hi Geoff,
    We do have another size available in our EZ-V line of plows. Unfortunately for you, it is a 9.5' plow and is too heavy for your 1 ton truck. The 8.5' EZ-V should be right for your truck. You may have to do a lot of sharp turning while you are plowing and that can be a problem even with a 9' blade. Hopefully, the FISHER will work out for you. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Gary Dwinal
    Product Manager
    Fisher Engineering

13. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

just picked up my new mvp western and was delighted to see they made a great change to the center wiper. no more flaps to get ripped off. the design they used is exactly what i was going to do to it and which Dino has allready done last seasons.
    i don't beleive the piece is urethane though.
    man it's gotta snow next month for shur, that new v plow in my shop is killin me.
    dan

14. plowking35

from SE CT

Gary explain this then
    My does the western MVP not crease those plates, and yet the fisher does. I also dont buy the no degradation of quality. Since this is where the cylinders pin to the moldboard, since when that plate creases, it tweaks those mounting pins, this cant be good' as this puts stress on the cylinder rod, causing a possible binding issue. Also on the 12 or so plows I have seen bent, the moldboard itself tends to arch as well, which causes the edge of the plow closest to the truck to ride 1" of so above the surface that is to be plowed.
    I believe that the western v plow has the cyl mount at a lower location taking stress off that plaste. which also allows that plate to be longer and stronger. Also the western has postive stops for when the plow is in the v or fully angled position,which in my opinion is what causes that crease to begin with. My plow is a western v plow that has 3 yrs of commercial plowing and no sign of plate creasing. Since both plows are cousins, why do they perform so differently.
    And Geoff runs all fisher v plows he knows the product line, but what he and others are asking for is a 9' v plow, because as end users of your product for profit, that is what would work best for us. For example, I have a dually 1 ton with 12K gvw. To light for the 9.5 v plow, but with teh dually track, a 8.5 is really not wide enough. So you see a 9' v plow has a definate place in the market. Thats why boss makes a 9'2".
    This brings up another item, since the 8.5' is really made for the 8600-11K gvw range, when installed on 11-12K gvw trucks the plow may really be to small, and that may contribute to breakage.
    Also why cant Douglas Dynamics sell a plow that will hold paint for more than 2 yrs with out the paint peeling like an orange.
    The people you find here on this board are very knowledgable and bonnified snow geeks,so please understand that we know what we speak of, and should be heard.
    Dino

Last edited: Aug 4, 2001
  15. JD PLOWER

Dealer support .

Gary, welcome to the plowsite family . Unlike some people on this site who have problem's with brands they can't seem to get past I would just like to say most everybody just wants answers to the questions they have, and to help you improve your companies products and service. My question is why is your dealer support in the Boston area so weak ? What I mean by that is , why is it that you only have three full service dealers around a city the size of Boston ? You have one about twenty five miles to the north and one about the same distance to the south. The one dealer in the city itself is not very helpfull (when I called for a service appointment I was told to go to the dealer from where I purchased the plow) . You do have truck dealerships where you can buy parts but the tech's there can't service the plow. That is really what is needed with the way plows are setup today . You probably know that just within the twenty miles from Boston the population is almost two and a half million, and about 80% of service provider's I would estimate use the Fisher as they're plow of choice. That means that most of the Landscaper's , paving and excavation contractors are using this plow. Should'nt those numbers alone justify at least one more full service dealership in the city itself ? I don't want to come off as having bashed your company, ( I think your product is excellent for the mos part ) but you really need more full service dealers around a population center like Boston . Thank you for your time and I hope your around here for many season's to come .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2001
  16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Gary,

I really like Fisher V-plows, heck I like regular fisher plows too. Thats was the first brand of plow I ever used.

However the facts are clear:

1. 9,5' too heavy for an F 350 (12500 GVW) dump truck

2. 8.5' In't wide enough for an F 350 dump truck.

All I heard from my driver this winter was that ____ 8.5' v-plow isn't wide enough for the __ truck. This driver also has 10 years of plowing experience.

However the 8.5' v-plow works great on a F 250 or F 350 pick up.

Just so ya know, I am thinking of putting a 9' straight blade on this truck. Or trying "pro wings" to make the plow bigger,
    If you want to talk to me more about this, feel free to E-mail me.

Geoff