1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Dec 22, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Just a heads up to you guys running a Fisher V, or an intsa act Fisher hydro pak. Had a problem Friday morning (frist COLD day), plow wouldn't work period! Didn't need to plow, so I put it in the shop, a while later it worked OK. Decided to check it out and took the motor off. There was about 3-4 tablespoons of water in the motor! My problem this water had frozen and wouldn't allow the motor to turn. I did have a similar problem with a pervious plow, so before I put this plow in service ( 4 years ago) I had taken the top plate off the motor and put anti seize on the motor bolts, and sealed the top plate and bolt heads with silicon! As part of my seasonal maintaince I take the top plate off every fall check the top bushing and reseal the plate and bolts. I have NO idea how this much moisture could get into the motor. So I put the motor back together and sealed the bottom of the motor, as well as the top plate, for the extra 10 mins I'll take the motor off next fall!

Bill

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Condensation. Beleive or not. I see it all the time. Especially with pumps left on trucks or plows that sit outside. We wait to do fluid change on out plows until Nov. We check everything else in Sept and Oct but wait on fluid until the really warm days are over. Make sure you drain the whole system. Sometimes the condesation can be down in the angling cylinders.

There is an additive you can get that acts as an antifreeze. Mixes with ant water in the system. I would not use it as a substitute for maintenance though.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ive had that happen to me twice,after a warm spell,then a cold snap,put the plows on nothing.i use my handheld mapp gas torch,to warm up the motor,it will work fine,after the storm I get them cleaned and checked.Both times it was on the same plow,the 65.f fisher MM that goes on my S10.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

CTi8, this water wasn't in the fluid reservoir, but in the motor itself, and it sounds like John has had the exact same problem as I have. I'm hoping that by sealing the motor with silicon top and bottom there shouldn't be any way water or air can get in. Fisher fluid, besides being a lower viscosity at low temps, has a antifreeze component to prevent fluid freeze ups from condensation in the reservoir.

Bill

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill,thats exactly what happened to me.I carry an instant start mapp gas torch in every truck,it has save the day many a time,it also clears the mirror(cracks them too),in a few seconds in an ice storm.Ive used it to dry the spark plug wire boot on the spreader,too.Dry wet spark plugs on 2 storke blowers,etc..I seeld my motr's top plate afte it happened the first time,and stored the plow inside all summer,so i do not know how water got in there,but it did.