1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordman, Nov 28, 2002.

1. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Last winter I looked at getting a Fisher 8'6 V plow for my 1991 Dodge W250(has the Cummins diesel) and was told it was too heavy. I went on to the Fisher web site the other day and looked at the plow specs. The 8'6 V seems to weigh in at less now. I assume this is because of the new minute mount 2 system. The 8'6 V is listed as weighing in at 808, if this is accurate do you think it would still overload my truck. I was told last year that my truck could take an 8' straight blade, at the time this was with the old minute mount system and an 8' straight plow with the old minute mount weighed in at 855. Like I said the 8'6 V with MM2 is listed as weighing 808. Less weight therefore should work ???
    Any input is appreciated.

Zack

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I see the fisher web site says you can go up to a 8'HD straight blade but they say a lot of things that dont hold true in the real world,for instance they dont recomend plows on ext. cabs but take a good look,how many of these do you see out there?I have 2,both half tons at that and never had a problem,your deisel motor is certainly heavier than a gas but i wouldn't be afraid to put the 8.5 V on that truck,just my 2 cents,i'm sure some will disagree.

3. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Plow

Im running a 8' 2" boss V on a 1977 chevy short bed truck. I beefed up my springs. And the Boss V are heavy. Know problems.

firefighter

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I wouldnt worry to much about that. I see alot of older dodges with the cummins running 9'2" boss plws, and they are heavier than the fishers. Worst case, heavier springs would solve the issue. The drivetrain and motor are certainly up to the task.
    Dino

5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Old style Dodge will handle the plow like a toy

The dodge front end will handle the plow just fine. They only have about 2" of travel from the bump stop empty and this doesn't get much worse with the plow.

The best advice for any and all plowing is at least 800 and preferably 1000 lbs of ballast on the back of the bed. I use a 4" slab of steel on mine. Just make sure you restrain it well for those sudden stops. Without weighting the rear the weight of the cummins and plow makes the front end do all the work. The rear is much stronger and has less u-joints so you might as well make it do its fair share of work. ;)

The cummins and the auto tranny hold up fine and burn about half the fuel of a gasser.