1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FISHER V PLOW vs. BOSS V PLOW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ferrarilou, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Ferrarilou

Ferrarilou Junior Member

I have (2) 2004 F350 Regular Cab, Long box Super Dutys. One diesel with a 9' Fisher, and the other a gas jober with a 8' Western. I usually always by 9' Fishers for all of my diesel trucks. But I just added another addition to my fleet which is a:

2005 F350 Diesel, Extended cab, short box.

And I want a V plow. I've never purchased a V-plow before, but I've always liked my Fisher blades (mainly because of the curl that can be added "SnowFoil"). The Fisher blades w/o the curl look like they are standing upright. I realize you cannot add a curl to the V plow which is making me lean towards the Boss V because it has more curl to it. Then again, the Boss doesn't have a trip edge - rather a trip blade, and the controls are not as user-friendly as the Fisher. Dealer network will not influence my deicision nor will price. I simply want the better V plow.

Here is my list of Fisher Pros:
    Trip Edge, Better Controls, AVAILABLE IN 9'6" !!! .
    Cons:
    Looks like its standing up.

Here are my Boss Pros:
    Poly blade is available, More "curl"
    Cons:
    Only in a 9'2". NO TRIP EDGE.

Let me hear some thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Louie Ferrari

2. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have never owned a Fisher V so I have no thoughts good or bad for them .

Now as far as the Boss V , I own one of these , and I have the hand held controller , I don't think it could be any easier to operate than it is, it works great.The plow mounts with zero effort. The full trip causes some people concern ,it has never been a problem for me. the hydraulics are fast and self contained ,there not just out there weathering like some plows do . I have the smartlock cylinders and they have not gave me any trouble either. Well theirs my 2 cents I hope it helps .

Steve

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I had a 9.6 v fisher.Its heavy,way to heavy for a shortbed pickup.I had it on my F350 Diesel dump.We went back to the 8ft and 9ft straight fishers with foils{the 8ft has pro wings so far so good,saves a lot of time}.The new Xblade looks very HD that is going to be our next plow of choice for next season.

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Oh yah i fogot to add.I thought the 9.6 was a very slow.Fisher needs to put a bigger motor on the v-plows

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a 9'6" Fisher V this year and it has worked great. If you are going to do a lot of windrowing then I would find something that has sides on it or a Blizzard 810. Even though the V is great in the scoop position, when you have it fully angled to one side it is no faster then any other plow. If you spend a lot of your time in large lots then Turkey wings or a Blizzard is the way to go.

6. Ferrarilou

Ferrarilou Junior Member

What kind of truck did you have the 9'6" on? Did you find that it was slow moving? My 9' is slow to raise so I know that its a Fisher Trait. Especially with the heavier blades.

7. capital

capital Senior Member

am wondering if u can change the speed on your pumps? we run only boss and have found them to be rather quick to respond, unless an air pocket forms or old and worn hydrolic is not changed quick anouf. I would check those first on your fischer.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, the only real good thing about the Fisher is the tripedge. In every other category, I feel the BOSS trumps the Fisher.

Don't worry about 4"

9. Ferrarilou

Ferrarilou Junior Member

Why do you feel that the 9'6" would be too heavy for a shortbed pickup? The wheelbase is the same, and the cab makes up for what is lost in the bed. Also the extended cab puts more weight closer to the rear axle than a long bed truck would - since the bed is lighter than the cab. Please explain further. Thanks.

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Never used boss before.We run all fishers and love them.They are extremely strong plows and don't break down often.I personally wouldn't get any plow without a trip edge.You can still get a snow foil for it, it will just have to be a rubber one rather than the big steel ones.

I don't know much about the Boss V but there seems to be a mixed opinion on them between the several plowing forums.( you can do some searches and read problems people have had) One complaint i hear a lot is about the center shoe piece breaking off leaving a trail of snow everywhere.I don't think you will go wrong with either of the units,it will probably come down to which one has the best dealer support in your area.

11. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Because a 9.6V plow is #870+truck mount#60+2 Cutting Edges#80+Rubber Snow Foil#30=About #1040 on the front of a F250 diesel shortbed{shortbed loses payload},now add a driver ,full tank of fuel, ballest{forget a sander your payload is only about #2500},shovels,strobes,that extra large cup of joe.Get on the scale and your WAY OVERLOADED.Your getting a ticket every time from the truck squad or DMV.In my area the local cops have scales they see a pickup with a plow and sander they start to lick there lips.I have F350 pickup shorty SS sander timbrens{so they don't see the truck squating,we use straight salt,half the weight of sand}.If u want be be illegal thats your choice put a 10 foot boss v on.

12. Ferrarilou

Ferrarilou Junior Member

Oh if its a legality issue I don't give a sh!t. I paid extra to register my '05 F350 at 10K GVW. So I'm not worried about any legal issues. I own a garbage and roll-off company so I know how strict DOT is - but a pickup truck is the least of my concerns. I like the 10' Boss idea. Thats my kind of thinking. Go big or go home.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This is the exact reason we moved away from Boss. Too much maintenance--breaking around the hinge constantly, bending the center pin that the blade pivots on. Their pumps are the best, but I would rather have a plow without all the headaches.

We have had no repairs on our Fisher V's yet. I don't expect to see much if any either. They windrow just fine, although you will have to make an adjustment on the blade stop to make it work best. They are not too heavy for a short box, either, not if you have a 350. If someone thinks it is, then they haven't put enough ballast in the back.

I would look seriously at the Blizzard as well. I think you might like it better than a v-vblade, I know I do and I only have about 10 hours with one.

14. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

If it really is a 2005 f350, then it isnt a weight issue seem as though ford has upgraded their front axles to 6000 lbs! go ahead with the 9.6 V...then post some pictures..lol