1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V-plow hydraulic or motor issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by LucasPaving, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LucasPaving

LucasPaving Junior Member

Plowing last Sunday and my solenoid died on me, replaced that and got the plow working, but it only worked for a few minutes then the motor would whine like crazy and the plow wouldn't move up or down, wouldn't go scoop (currently in vee) is the motor shot or could it be a hydraulic issue? where to i look to see how much hydraulic fluid is in the reservoir?

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

start with fluid, there is a nut on the side of the canister. Open that up and look. There should be a cap on the top. Pour it in until it starts coming out the side. Plow should be down and straight. If it's the fluid, pour some in move it to straight mode, fully retracted up and down piston and fill it until it starts to trickle out. Could be the motor too.

3. Is it an EZV or extreme V? The best thing you can do is pull the reservoir. I would bet you have water in there and a partially clogged filter.

4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Sounds like the pump to me if the motor spins and fluid is full.

5. LucasPaving

i bought the plow used and been trying to figure out which v-plow i have to be honest. how would i figure out which plow it is. it is a older plow 3 springs in the back and its a 2 pin minute mount system.

6. gtmustang00

from Berlin

What year is it? First 2 numbers of serial number. It sounds like a EZ V to me.

7. LucasPaving

i hate to be a noob, but i am. i'm second owner of this plow. i don't know what year it is. where will i find the serial number?

8. gtmustang00

from Berlin

On the plow blade or reservoir.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

None of the v plows had 3 springs, they all had 4.

10. LucasPaving

its a ez-v, and the first two numbers is a 12, sorry i ment three springs per side

11. kimber750

Also as far as I know all the ez-v plows were 3 plug connections and XV plows are 2 plugs.

12. LucasPaving

it is a 3 plug

13. kimber750

Some of these pumps had a problem with pick up tube falling off. If you are sure fluid is full and it does not move at all it is time to take reservoir off. Either filter is clogged or it fell off.

14. LucasPaving

next question would be, i have heard some people using synthetic atf in plows. would Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid be ok or should i try and hunt out some plow hydraulic fluid?

15. kimber750

Plow fluid would be best. Aviation hydraulic fluid is the same thing.

16. Like I said before, pull the reservoir. Its the ONLY way you are going to know for sure what the issue is.

17. My EZV was a 2 plug when I bought it used. I converted it to a 3 plug to match my truck.

18. LucasPaving

Well I've never worked in hydraulics before, I don't have a garage either so I build a small tent over the plow stick a couple of heaters within the tent and in going to let them do there thing. I also made an appointment next Monday at a local dealership for them to take a gander at it. Till then I pray it doesn't snow lol

19. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You had the original SEHP style,they didn't use it long,it had 3 pins in they battery cable and the other was lights/controll combo

20. LucasPaving

Thats not directed at me is it?