1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V-Plow....Default to Straight Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KatWalk, Jan 5, 2005.

1. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Is there a way to get the V-Plow back to perfectly straight without being a rocket scientist? I have the fish stick control and just thought that if there was some sort of way to press a default button to get the plow back to perfectly straight that this would be a great help. Thanks for any feed back.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a real good reason you need "PERFECTLY STRAIGHT"?

Close is always good enough for me. Only time I NEED straight is backdragging away from a garage door or something similar.

I've had V's since '96, but never really remember it being a big learning curve back then.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

It's actually been discussed before and even brought to the attention of the Fisher reps,not sure were it will go from there.For now you will have to run the left wing foward and the right wing back(or vise versa)and then your straight.

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I just picked up a 8'6" Fisher V MM2 and it has a straight mode. There is two modes on the controller, Vee position and straight, you can't independtly control the sides in v mode it will go up, down, and left is scoop, and right is v. In straight mode it straightens and acts like a regular plow. I also have the fishstick too if that matters.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW!
    :eek:

Don't take this the wrong way, but thats just crazy. You cant independently move each wing exactly where you want it?

With my BOSS, I can angle either way, straight, Vee, Scoop, and ANY combination in between. This isn't the way the Fisher/Western V does it?

6. avalancheplow

I can stop the blades any where I want in between the scoop and vee but I can't for example make the left straight and the right all the way back.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW....again.

I never knew this.

Chalk one more up for the BOSS I guess.

8. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I heard that is how a Western V worked and that is one of the reasons I went with a Boss , so I could run both wings independently. Nothing against the rest but thats a nice feature to have.

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Western and Fisher have NEW controllers that allow you to control the wings independently, not as easy as the boss, but still better than the mode button.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

All my years running a V-plow, and being here on the forums for 6 years, and I never knew thats how they operated.

I had heard that the "MODE" type controllers were bad, and they offer an upgrade, but never knew what exactly the differences were.

11. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

I can run each blade of my EZ-V independently. Avalanche, you should be able to as well. I've had both the "mode" controller and not the new one with seperate buttons just for the wings. I've forgotten the exact sequence to use on your controller, but I may be able to find it later.

12. avalancheplow

Chalk one more for the Fisher. Why do you need to operate both indepently? :confused: My blade does everything I need it to do and more. I just plowed for 9 hours and in that whole time didn't come across a point where it would have helped. I think It might even slow you down having to get both of them into place.

13. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping Junior Member

Hold in the mode button in upper left hand corner until it starts flashing, this mode allows you to control each wing independently and will allow you to take one wing in and one out. THEN...push that same mode button one more time and you will be in the straight blade mode and your blade will be as straight as an arrow. Hope this helps.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well, KatWalk, had a problem with it.
    :nod:

I just think you should be able to, with a push of a button, put any wing exactly where you want it. Previous to this post, I thought you could do that with a Fisher/Western.

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You can with the new controller....

[​IMG]

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ive ran a fisher with the mode button and a western with the new set up. the mode button sucks! You can move a wing independantly on the older controller, you hold mode down till it starts blinking and then push left or right, the left or right wing will start moving on you, let go and push the same button and it will move in the oposite direction. It becomes a real PITA when you are cleaning up in "scoop" mode and want to drop a wing and trail the snow off somewere.....you have to wait for the little light and that takes some time. Pisses me off to no end. The new fisher controller works much better IMO but i still like bosses better.

If I want it truely straight I will just pull one wing all the way back and move one wing all the way forward, most times i just get it close enough and actually opperate slightly "scooped" from straight quite a bit.

17. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Do you get enough snow in Philly cheese steak country to warrant "PLOWS" plural?

No trouble with the learning curve...I can butter bread with the plow....just wish there was a default to straight. Come up here and I will Vee, Scope, and "ALMOST" straight blade you until your truck is buried!!!!!

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Katwalk,

You post above, when I read it first sounded as if your mocking/doubting me, my area, my plows, and most of all, my favorite food. :nono: I certainly hope your just being sarcastic. :confused: Which I'm pretty sure you are.

However, YOU started a thread asking how to do something that I was totally unaware was a problem with Fisher/Western V plows. Others stated having the same problem as you. I simply stated that I didn't have that problem with my BOSS V, and really couldn't believe Fisher/Western engineered something this way. I mentioned "mark one up for BOSS on this", as it IS a hindrance to plow this way, and BOSS clearly has the advantage here.

So there is my summary.

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

TLS:

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM

As I have and other have, you can do this in both controllers of the westerns/fisher, it just is not as easy as a Boss on the older controller.

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it is,
    No it isn't.
    :realmad:
    Yes it is,
    No it isn't.
    :rolleyes:
    :)

While I agree, it must not be a HUGE problem, as I've personally never heard of it on any of the forums until this thread. But, my point was that Katwalk had ENOUGH of a problem to post a thread on it. That was what I was trying to get across. He was bothered enough to post about it, yet now you guys are acting as if everything is fine and dandy.