1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher v or blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow white, Oct 16, 2003.

1. snow white

snow white Member

I was looking at new plows for my 2000 f250. i seen the new blizzard 810 demo i am impressed but they are new to our area,can anyone tell me if they are reliable or not.the fisher v 8 ft,is nice but the blizzard is awesome ...can anyone tell me why not to buy the blizzard besides the $800 difference.:confused:

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that Blizzard weighs somewhat a bit heavier than the Fisher 8.5' V plow, but from the feedbacks I have heard on Plowsite, they both are very good plows. I guess it will boil down to whatever your local dealer carry. If these two plows are what he sells, then you have a tough choice to make! LOL.

You should try to do some search on Fisher and Blizzard plows, and compare each of them and the feedbacks from members. The Blizzard, I think, can be somewhat more productive than Fisher V plow because the 810 have extendable wings, from 8' to 10' wide. Also the wings fold forward to create sort of a scoop position to push the snow. Fisher V plow can still go in scoop mode and push snow. So I am not sure if it is worth spending the extra $800 but alot of members said that they are very happy with Blizzard, and Fisher too!

I think that some other members will chime in and try to help you out. :waving:

3. snow white

snow white Member

comparision

the extra 2 feet will be helpfuil in large lots and with the scoop action sides it will all most do a v job also,i think i'm close to sold from the demo.............

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If that is how you feel, and if this is what you think you should go with, then go for it! :)

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I know everyone's expecting me to chime in so here goes.

The blizzard 810 weighs in at just under 1000 pounds, I don't know what the Fisher weighs. In any case it shouldn't be a concern if you've got the plow prep package.

I've got the 810, take a look here for a performance report.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with the Blizzard.You may need to upgrade the front springs to the X code springs,and adding Timbrens would help too.Running some ballast in the rear will help balance it all out.

From what I've read on here,the Blizzards seems to have a pretty good track record so far,unless Santo gets one to demo ;)

7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Heck he could plow a 9' pile with a diesel.

8. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Snow White a couple of things to keep in mind, if you get heavy wet snow up there (and I think you do) a Fisher will out perform the Blizzard in two key areas. First is stacking, trip edge plows in my experience stack considerably better than any trip blade design that I have seen in use in this area. Second, breaking through wind rows or snowbanks, the v position will breakthrough in most places quicker and easier than any straight plow out there that I have seen. On the other hand the extra two feet is something you just don't get in any other application. If most of your plowing areas are fairly large and don't require you to be extra careful around things then the plow that meets your needs might be the blizzard. I'm fortunate enough to own both a v plow and a blizzard. Which one would I choose if I had to pick only one? I luckily don't have to make that decision but I also know that no one plow can do everything that my jobs require, but together they do fine.

And with that I should say I just put a deposit on a 8611 blizzard due to the fact that Fisher doesn't really make a v plow that I trust bigger than 8.6"...

9. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Go with the Blizzard without question.

10. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I threw my fisher in the dumpster and put an 810 on, my Diamond went this summer and I put a 810 on that truck too, now Jpl who posted before me is taking his fisher off his F-450 and putting a blizzard on-Whats that tell you?payup

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

The trip design should have no effect on stacking whatsoever.If you trip springs are incorrectly adjusted,or weak,then the blade may tend to fold forward,but otherwise,they both should stack the same.I have never had any problems stacking with our Westerns,they stack just the same as our old Fisher\Diamonds used to.

12. JD PLOWER

Wyldman I am only relating my experiences with these types of plows. The plows are new and I adjusted the springs after the first storm and while it did improve, the results are still roughly the same. The reason trip edge plows exist is mostly for this reason.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

So the full trip blades were folding over when stacking ? With all the snow in front of the blade pushing back,it should not trip forward,unless there is a small frozen pile at the bottom,or it's catching on the curb as you try to stack it.

I thought the trip edge plows were designed more for plowing roads at speed than for stacking.

Not trying to argue with you,just trying to understand what kind of problem you were having.

14. JD PLOWER

You don't need frozen piles for this to happen, a few inches of wet snow is enough so that when piling you "loose the load" at the end of a long run.

As far as road plowing goes most if not all of them that I see are trip blades. Trip edges offer no real advantage as I can tell other than when stacking. You are right when you say a trip blade will keep its load better when tripped, I found out the hard way. I tend to see the trip edges pop over an obstacle and dump most of the snow behind the plow.

Its just been my experiences that they come up wanting in the stacking area.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

OK,I guess i could see where that would happen,depending on the conditions.I run 4 trip springs minimum on our Westerns,and they are cranked up pretty tight,so maybe that's why I've never experienced it or found it to be a problem.

16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

SNOWWHITE

Would be happy to demo an 810 for you and then you could see why it is superior in quality and performance. What part of N.S. are you and where did you get your price. Dave. Maritime distributor. Sacville N.S. 865-4656

PS: We also have an 810ss for bobcats.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go with the fisher v wet heavy snow is no match for the blizzard and fisher is very reliable

18. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

snow white, the prices around here are about the same for the fisher v and the blizzard, about $4200-$4300,

10ft vs 8.5ft ?

19. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Our demo truck, one ton dually, with an 810 plowed the first two storms and the snow couldn't have been any wetter. Out plowed every other rig including big tractor with 12 foot blade