1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher v blade angle ram leaks.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sweetk30, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

how hard is it to rebuild the rams on the v blade cylinders? thay leak out the ends were the nut is holding all together. and thay dont seem to hold scoop to well anymore as to blow by and leaks.

and does anyone have part #s for rebuild kits for these if thay offer them.
  2. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 Junior Member

go to discount plow parts.com cheap and good. should work as long as the double acting cylinders are still 1 1/2 inch
  3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Bringing this from the dead, hopefully will generate a bit more interest. As most of you know, the price for a pair of dual action cylinders is far from cheap.

I just came across a 9.5 XV (not XV2) that ate a center pin and snapped the ends of both angle pistons/rams off. Oddly broke off the front portion, as if it was being used to back drag and caught something, perhaps it did... There doesn't 'appear' to be any other damage, i.e. leaking seals, or bends based on me operating them in/out with no load (nothing attached to broken end).

I have a set of new in box EZ-V cylinders from my old plow. Would there be any harm in using these? I see they are 2" diameter with 10" travel vs. the XV which are 1.75x11" so it would cut down on ability to either scoop or vee as tightly (not positive which end it would affect, i'm thinking less stroke would impact the vee position, i.e. it wouldn't be able to come all the way back). Would it want to blow out a seal from not bottoming the piston while trying to pull plow back?

Assuming I don't use the EZV above, rather than spending $350/each for new Fisher XtremeV pistons, how difficult is it to just bust the gland nut loose and replace the actual chrome piston portion that is broken? Not sure what may be different being dual acting - I have only a basic level of knowledge with hydraulics, i.e. have rebuilt a floor jack and did a SEHP seal set many moons ago.
  4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Anyone have any insight?