1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V and Boss V Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PJH Landscaping, Jun 25, 2009.

1. PJH Landscaping

PJH Landscaping Junior Member
    from Meriden

Hey guys I am stuck on which plow to buy. i have a 2000 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel. I am looking to get either a 9'2 Boss V, the new poly xvt one they got coming out. Or a 9'2 Fisher Stainless Steel v blade. The prices are going to be just about the same money for both. The dealer for boss is a little closer. So what do you guys think. Thanks

2. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

If you have a good boss dealer, then go for the boss. But if your dealer is a dick like mine is then go with the fisher. Remember the Fisher will be a lot heavier than the boss, but the fisher is a great plow and has a trip edge where the boss is full trip I believe.

3. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i agree go to the better dealer but if both are good get the boss faster hydro's

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Well u know what think FISHER,the hydraulics are faster than the Boss, also if u hav a problem u can chain the plow and go back to the shop, the BOSS u can't do that

5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

With a decent snow bank, small jack, or heavy duty strap, you can short chain the boss.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And why is that? Please enlighten us...:rolleyes:

Ever owned one? Obviously not.

7. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

what if the moon falls out of the sky, and hits you on the head? then what are you gonna do? Buy the boss, and sleep well guy.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's got to be something in the paint:dizzy:

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

So how many times have you saved the day by short chaining ?
    Must be a common occurence the way the fisher guys rave about how well it works when there pumps **** the bed. Never hear that about Boss though :rolleyes:

LMAO

10. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

haha thats some funny ****

11. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

not a feature

being able to short chain is not a feature.:help:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

.....but an apparent necessity for a boat anchor.

PJH, although the Boss dealer is closer, is he the best of the two choices? Convenience is certainly an important consideration but so is quality work and a dealer that will be there when you may need him.

Most guys will travel out of their way to get good work when they find it. Closer may not necessarily make the best choice....

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not the new Fishers, The new designs are direct lift, I think eventualy they will do away with the chain lift models altogeather.

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=ht

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I guess they don't expect the HT's to ever fail during use. :cool: :D

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have short chained twice. Not because the pump failed, but because I was hung up. Have to admit, saved alot of shoveling.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

direct lifts rarely hang up that way. they can not ski over the pile like the chain hoists can. Why while you can try argue stacking height between a CH (chain hoist) and DL (direct lift) you can not argue depth (OK you can but I think you'd be proven wrong) not if you consider not getting hung up and having to short chain one of the parameters.;):D

17. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

as long as you have a ratchet strap there is no need to have a chain. how many pieces of equipment have a "chain" to lift. most if not all modern machines are hydraulicly hooked up directly to componenets.

18. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

besides the chain debate:

another thing to think about is the newer fisher/western mvp have newer style of communicating than most plows. they have a computer like module on the plow. they only have 2 wires running for the valve functions of the plow. the controller is talking binary code to the plow module. it is a pretty cool system and most of our automobiles are going that way. if you are someone that likes to work on your own plows, you may really want to look at the boss it still uses the conventional 12v source to activate a coil on the valve. it is not to say that it is impossible to work on the fisher it just may be harder. its just a thought

19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Just ask Mr. Heyer about traveling clients.

I guess chain plows do have down pressure after all, when used as a boat anchor :jester:

20. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

how much $ are they asking?