1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher V, 6 year report

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jan 25, 2003.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I put my Fisher into service in Nov 1997, and it started with a 15" snowfall and one of the busier winters. Within 8 hours I'd broken the A frame and had a problem with the plow hanging up on the head gear. Fisher were great they sent a sales guy up and we met with the local dealer and they admitted that the problems I had, they had seem on their test plows, They replaced all problem parts. Since then and, only this year I replaced the A frame it broke 3 times last year plus hinges won't stay welded anymore, my welding shop guy, said the metal was too fatigued to be worth welding anymore. We built a new one rather then buy an OEM replacement with many mods to strengten it. The head gear broke this fall, the plow bounced, backing up and the lights were suddenly pointing down, an hour in the shop and it was fixed, but if you have a Minute mount with time on it check the mounting plates where the head gear bolts on. Oh yah welded the push frame the 1st year where the 2 5/8 bolts go trough ( you have to drill 1 depending on truck height) they will not stay tight! )Replaced the motor, Serviced the HPU every year and only used Fisher plow fluid The wings have replaced the plates above the angle pins last year after I couldn't weld them anymore, and there have been other welds, they( the wings )have to be replaced next year. The controller and the HPU ( other the the motor replacement ) and 2 o rings in the releif valves have been great. Over all the best most productive plow I've ever owned.

Bill

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

how can it be the best plow you have had.i had plows 16 + years old and i never had one weld break

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It does seam hard to say it was the best plow you ever had after you had to fix it so much.My idea of a good plow would one that only needed oil and wear blades.

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you have to realize how much snow nsmilligan gets up there and how much use he's talking about.

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Maybe its the only one he's ever had ?

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Its kinda like an hour meter... He probably plows 5 of a normal plows season in one.

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i don't care if he plows the north pole.i never had a plow break welds.the plow trucks at public works in my town have plows back from the 60s.i use my trucks hard and the trucks break but not the plows.i just don't think thats such a great plow,but i wasn't the one to use it for 7 years so maybe im wrong.

8. nsmilligan

I destroyed a Meyer in 1 year, got 2 years out of an Arctic, my other Fishers a 7.5 regular mount an an 8' regular mount had repairs but lasted 3-4 years before they were cheaper to replace then fix, and beside my #1 fear is DOWNTIME. The EZ-V has over 3000 hours by guess, my new Trackless has 1400 miles plowing since Nov!, and the Dodge & V-plow have plowed over 40 days this winter! Why is it the best plow? The major components the electronics, the HPU have never failed me, in fact the plow has never been out of service all these years for more then a couple hours, I also do a severe preventative maintain program, if I see a crack it's fixed, but I still break things. My 1st set of edges (Fisher lasted 2 months). I went to carbides, and I'm on my 2nd set of those, they're supposed to last 2K miles plowing on a Highway plow.

Bill

9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

nsmilligan
    Well now that it's all said and done do you think you would buy another Fisher V, or would you try something different?

10. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I don't know, it still seems like a lot of problems even considering the extended use it gets. I know I don't use my plows nearly as much, but if I have to replace anything except the usual cutting edge, a hose here and there, pins and the regular fluid changes in the next 10 years I would be pretty disappointed in my new plow.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

That does seem like an awful lot of repairs even considering how much plowing you do with it. I know Fishers are great plows, but I think still that is alot of stuff to happen to a plow unit after 6 years of work. Maybe Im wrong, but this is just my oppinion. Atleast you are saying you think its a nice plow even after all thats happened. :drinkup: Mike :waving:

12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plow reliability

WOW - I never had that much trouble even with MYERS plows that some bash in this forum. Of course my mounts are the conventional permanent types, always on the jeeps, no minute mounts, but then I can hook up in less than three minutes, both Myers and Western. Put the lift chain on, open the hood, pull the lift rod to lift up the plow to align with the frame, stick the pins in the A frame, lower the plow, reset the chain set my snap couplings for the power angle and I am ready to go.

And I never had the lift problems you describe because I use BELT DRIVEN Monarch pumps. They just do not break down like electric pump solenoid systems do and they do not tax the rest of my electrical systems. Less parts, less repairs. Simple and reliable.

13. nsmilligan

Yes I would, but I'm going to look at a Western, because the 1 problem I have had is bending the angle pins, and Western has a positive stop on their plow which stops this. and the angle cylinders are 180 degrees different on the Fisher, but I'm going to try to make a similer setup. The Western dealer is small and an hours drive, so I'd rather fix the Fisher. The V plow has been higher maintainance then a straight blade, but I wouldn't be without, because of the productivity gains. Also you guys that have been carrying an EZ-V around for a while check your lift chain, mine wore through 2 years ago, and I replaced with a grade 70, and also check the mount for the chain eye, I've replaced 2 of those. This plow has seen extreme use and even a fair bit of plain old abuse, so don't expect to have the same problems, unless you plow as much as I do.

Bill

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

All fisher has to do is install positive stops on those cyl, and that will end most of their probelms. Except that they have a frame issues, and loading that a frame with more stress will compound that issue. If they just used the a frame from the western, they could solve both problems at once. My opinion of fisher regarding this problem has gone down alot. I personally spoke with them 3 yrs ago addressing this isssue, and I know countless others have, and yet they are still made the same way. Western V plow for me no fishers.
    Dino

15. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

16. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

I ended up buying a Fisher v plow. Now i'm worried.
    Nsmilligan,where in NS are you? I'm Fredericton 1/2 the time,out side of Boston on the North shore the other 1/2.I'm at Adesa Halifax Auto auction all the time.:drinkup:

The side wing is impressive!:drinkup:

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My western v by comparison hasnt needed a thing that was westerns fault. I broke an angle cyl, but that all me. i actually replaced it with a fisher EZV cylinder. Aside from the paint it looks like new. I am sure the u edges have helped with breakage.
    The plow is being pushed by a heavy truck as well, my truck weighs in at between 13-16K depending on how much the hopper is loaded. I usually plow with a yard in it, so closer to that 13K mark.
    In all the MVP is winner IMO. Very reliable. I will have the motor rebuilt in the off season just because.
    Dino

18. nsmilligan

It no doubt after putting u-edges on the Trackless and the sidewing, that they would've have helped, as I have been running carbide edges on the V and they're very rought on it.
    Are the power units, controller (fish stick) interchangable with the Western?

Brunswick Concrete I'm from the Valley, about 100 km west of Halifax.

Bill

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

No offense Dino but you plow a lot less snow in SE CT than NSmilligan does in New Brunswick. I would wager that plow has 6-7 times the plowing hours as you western does. Most of the hours plowing heavier snowfalls as well.

Hard to compare apples to oranges though you often try.`

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

CT ,Dino said in comparison to A Fisher,not NSMILLIGANS Fisher,and as i just wrote in another thread,these Fisher V's are puttin $$ in my pocket from all the welding,sorry but everything Dino said about the Fisher is true,i see it first hand all the time,also any Fisher dealer i have spoke with denys any problem i mention! BTW,i am a die hard Fisher fan so there is no bashing here.