1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher UTS-696

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowed, Sep 26, 2002.

1. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Hello all, I have a question regarding what appears to be a new Fisher product, their under tailgate spreader. Has anyone ever used an under tailgate spreader? If so, with what success?
    Currently I am running a Fisher 8' Stainless V-box with the extended shute on an '01 F-550. The setup works ok, but with the extended shute, I must remove the spreader from the box if I want to be able to pull my trailer. Therefore, the undertailgate spreader setup seems ideal, since I wouldn't need to remove anything.

I am also servicing more commercial customers this season, and the ability to carry more material in the bed is a plus v. the 1 or 2 yards in the hopper. And I could probably leave unused material, for a short period, in the dump body and simply break up any clumps as opposed to running off material in the hopper.

The unit is hydro and I would think I could run it off the trans PTO.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Nevermind! Before I get blasted, I did a search and for some reason it didn't come back with what I was looking for, perhaps a spelling error on my part. I just tried the search again, and found some posts from last year.

I would still apreciate those who care to comment, and I appologize to those whom read an unneccesary post.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I used to run several of them, there are some factors that must be considered.

What will you be plowing / salting? If roads or driveways with low hanging tree limbs, or lots of hills. I would go with something else.

If lots of wide open lots, it should work well for you. You may need a viberator on the body.

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You're absolutely correct Geoff. I didn't specify in my post, but we will be servicing mostly parking lots, some for schools and retail/office buildings. I have been asked to take over 2 roads, but I have made sure that there are no low lying tree branches or utility lines.

Regarding the vibrator...what kind of decibel level can I expect to be listening too? It would seem that it would be quite loud, and perhaps border in obnoxious?...

Thanks for your reply Geoff.
  5. GeoffD

It is a rather lound sound, because it is installed right on the bottom of the dump body. However you are only suposed to hit the button for a few seconds.

6. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

You might want to look at a henderson unit I put one on my 550 lastyear and love it. It is a replacment tailgate.It is bowed in the backwith an auger that feeds the sand to the left out a hole to the spinner. I can raise the box and pack it back, lower the box and then spreed a avg size lot.
  7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have only used tailgate and undertailgate units. I have a Swenson mild steel undertailgate and it works quite nicely. If you tarp your material and don't leave it sit in the bed, you should not need to install a vibrator. I have had to break salt up when it got wet and solidified, but a tarp is all it takes to prevent that.

The major danger is going through drive thru's with the bed raised. OUCH! Lots of potential for damage if you make one mistake.:eek:
  8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Thanks Tru Cut, I'll certainly take a look at the Henderson unit, although I do not believe I have ever seen a dealer in my area.

The main reason for the Fisher is that there is a dealer just down the road from my shop, where I have procured all of my other equipment. It's nice to see their lights on during a storm!
  9. plowed

plowed Senior Member

SnoJob67, It's certainly easier to break up the clumps in the bed than in a hopper!

I have been to the swenson web-site, although I do not recall seeing a dealer in my area.

You make a good point about the drive-thru. Two of our lots have drive-thru's, but only one has a canopy, and I can make it through, although it is a bit tight.

Thanks for your comments.
  10. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

there are alot of different brands in my area. under tailgate they all look about the same different color. there are different drive options. mine is ss. monroe looks like 10 other brands. i don't need a vibrator. i tarp and use as a general rule no salt on truck for more than 24 hours. after that i,ll dump on pile and re-load [when using as weight ] never had a promblem with salt i adopted new rule for my self. the spinner may still be in your way to tow. they do come off easy and back on. 1-2 min. buy the fisher.
  11. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Alright, now I'm all torqued off! After searching posts and discussions here, I was set on the Fisher UTS-696 in Stainless. I called my local Fisher guy and he's not set up to do the hydro, etc. So I called another Fisher outfit and he can do it, but never has and seems reluctant to. I just spoke with Hartford Truck and they are no longer doing them they say because of dump box compatability problems. So where to? I am sincerely interested in doing this unit, but without local support, what to do? You guys have any suggestions or know of any dealers local to Danbury, CT, within an hour or so? While I'm pretty loyal to Fisher, I am interested in other quality units as well.

My 2 main reasons for this unit are : 1) increased carrying capacity (volume of material) and 2) ease of use when trailering equipment, so I don't have to remove the hopper.

12. GeoffD

I know it's not a Fisher.

Try a meyer dealer, i know meyer, however meyer's spreaders except for the plastic ones are made by swenson.

Or go to a swenson dealer. They will hook you up. Worse comes to worse, come to maine, and i can give ya the numbers to about 5 places that will set ya up.

13. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Fisher Dealers in CT.

494 Lindley Street
    Bridgeport, CT 06606

9 Route 66 East
    Columbia, CT 06237

127 Hartford Avenue
    East Granby, CT 06026

395 State Street Route 5
    North Haven, CT 06473

17 Dinunzio Road
    Oakville, CT 06779

Hope this helps
  14. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

One of plowed's questions was never addressed. Can this unit be run off the PTO hydro pump? I got the info from the Fisher site, that the spreader motor is "A high torque, low speed hydraulic motor (15 GPM, 2000 psi) ".

Now I need to look into how many GPM our PTO is on our one International that we are considering mounting this unit on. Central hydraulics are way too pricey at this point. I wonder if a Monarch type engine mounted unit can power the spreader (if the PTO one can't). I am going to call a local dump body dealer / installer tomorrow and get some input, but figured many of you on here may be able to share some insight.

This is not going to be a hasty decision for us, but we can't afford to keep wasting space by running a V box in the truck. We could easily carry double the amount of salt with an under tailgate unit.

15. GeoffD

Chuck, you should be able to do a pump off the crankshaft. This is what we do on all our town trucks. All you would need is an inline from the tank to the pump , then an outline to the spreader controll.