1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher trip edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Feb 15, 2004.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a older Fisher plow. The trip spring mounting tabs on the trip edge are worn down to the point one trip spring fell out. Do I have to make new mounting tabs or can I get the from fisher? It is mounted on a 86 F250. I run in in the bottom hole to keep the tabs from hitting the ground. The cutting edge is worn down only 1/2". I know 3 other people with the same problem. Is this common?

2. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Common problem on older Fishers. The quick and dirty cure is to lay an old bolt or other piece of round stock along the worn edge and weld it. Otherwise, it's just a piece of flat stock with a hole punched in it. Cut the old one off as clean as you can, and weld on something that looks the same, only not worn off. If you don't weld yourself, any local welding shop has probably seen this before, and can fix it for you.

If the tabs are still wearing off with the plow mounted in the bottom hole, and a relatively new cutting edge, either the mounting points on the truck are too low, or the plow itself has been tweaked, and the trip edge is coming too far forward in the untripped position.

3. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for the info guys. I might try the spacer deal. I am taking the trip edge apart on Wednesday. my friend orders high carbon steel cutting edges custom made from a local steel shop. I am going to go from the standard 1/2" thick x 6" wide edge to a 5/8" or 3/4" X 8" edge. That will hold the blade up higher so it won't hit and the thicker steel won't wear out as fast. I hope that will work.

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

It sound like all the pins in your base angle are worn along with all the ears. I would replace the whole moldboard.