1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher triangle not collapsing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nor'easter1, Apr 16, 2003.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

The season is over and i can't believe my 97 mm is failing me. just went on vacation for a few days and returned to remove the plow off the truck and that is not happning. lift the blade then try and lower and the triangle is frozrn with about 3-4 inches exposed. I can't collapse it down seems to be something in the way. Checked carrying chain it is not in the way connections, even opened up the fluid fill and let some fluid out to releive the pressure no luck. blade does hit the ground but you can hear the chains creaking because there is stil to much pressure. please advise me once again. thank you
  2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Noreaster- Don't be in a hurry to put it away. Look at the weather for your area for thu/fri- Maybe slush and snow mix with some accumulation.

If the plow will drop to the ground then electrically the thing is working. Float light should be on. Try loosening the packing nut on the lift ram. That should do the trick. You may still have to stand to the side of the unit and pull on the lift chains to help pull it down.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre,there is no Float light on the older MM's,our new MM2 has it though.

My 97 has been doing the same thing and i believe it is semi electrical.The plow should be in "float"once it touches the ground but that can also be overridden by holding the button to long or picking it up,these older plows get finicky when it comes to the float.Pick it up and set it down like normal,get out and put full body pressure on the triangle,(i know you shouldn't have to )but thats another little quirk with some of the older MM's.My plow does this almost everytime i goto take it off anymore:realmad:
  4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yeah its amazing....

What a few hundred well placed pounds on top of that lift triangle can do !!!!!;) :bluebounc :

Just be careful you don't slip off or you will be :cry: :dizzy:
  5. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

problem solved. what to do? called a dealer friend of mine and here is what he said. lower plow and then get out and put your butt on the blade and kick at the chain until it lowers to full collapsing mode, outstanding solution for something that i thought was much more more complicated. again thank you to the forum boys for the best info in our trade
  6. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

you could also loosen the packing nut a turn or so and spray some lube on the packing. cycle it up and down a few times then tighten the nut till you feel it make contact with the packing then give it a quarter turn more. sometimes the packing can dry out a little and make it difficult to collapse all the way down.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have my son hold the lever down and I muscle the "triangle" down.:) What the h***, it works! :pumpkin:
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually, you don't need someone to hold the lever down while you push down the triangle. Just press the lever down at once and don't touch it again, leave the truck running, come out and push the triangle down. But it won't hurt to have your son get some experience with plowing! :D

I noticed this spring that the triangle was really hard to push down. I think it has to do with the weather. It was a cold winter, so that mean the fluid and packing nut are not expanding, which is what would happen when warmer weather come in. I think that when the temperature rise, the fluid inside the pump expands, leaving less room to push the triangle down. In the winter, it was a piece of cake pushing the triangle down, but this spring, I had to stand on the triangle and almost could not push it down. Oh well I won't have to deal with it anymore since I sold my Toyota with plow on it. :)
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I hope the new owner of your old truck doesnt see what you just wrote. :eek: Just kidding, haha. No, you wont have to deal with that anymore, not until you get the new Fisher on your HD. :D Mike :drinkup:
  10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Haha, I don't think I ever would have to deal with it anymore even after I get a new plow for my HD. You forgot the new feature that Fisher MM2 have - a spring that pulls the triangle itself down. ;) :drinkup:
  11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

True, I forgot that the MM2 has that feature. Now all ya gotta do is go buy it! :D Mike :waving: