1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher tension spring

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ratherbfishin, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

The last storm(hate to say it...but hopefully the last) what I want to call the tension spring broke...the spring that keeps tension on the lift ram.
    Is this spring necessary? My older plows never had this and the blade seemed to lift/lower fine without it.
    Before I go to Fisher (ouch) to buy one, I figured I would throw it out there!

2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

No, its not necessary. Just make sure the lift cylinder is fully colapsed before you unhook the plow.(makes hhooking it back up easier)

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Only purpose for the spring is pull lift ram down to make taking plow on and off easier. Like TIB said just push your lift ram down.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

No, it's not absolutely required, but it sure does come in handy. Its purpose is to allow the lift cylinder to fully collapse when you lower the plow. This helps you when you unhook the plow and when you want it to float on uneven terrain.

BTW, if you do buy a new one, setting the length of the cable can be a PITA. What I do is get the correct length set on the cable by making sure there's a little bit of tension even in the fully retracted position, Then pull the upper clevis pin out to remove all tension, tighten the cable clamps, then re-install the clevis pin.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Been running my plow for 3 years without one.I just make sure I put the plow in float and collapse the lift piston before I take it off

6. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Thanks guys...kind of what I figured! Never had that set up on all my old plows. Also, this is my first run with Fisher. Since 1988 I always ran Diamond. Local dealer changed to snow wolf so I went a bit further to the Fisher dealer....must say, happy so far!