1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher stainless spreader frozen need help asap

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pats plowing, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Well my two year old fisher sander is not working. i cant get the gearbox to engage and move the conveyor chain. i thought the chain was frozen but i have gotten some movement of it it just seems that the gearbox itself wont move. before i continue to pound on it what should i be looking to do? i tried fishers website and a search here and no luck. course luck has it we are getting an ice storm tonight so quick help would be appreciated.

2. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

hey pat

take a big monkey wrench and put it on the small clutch pulley, nine out of ten times the clutch will be frozen sometime by doing this it may free up!!!!

3. PicThePlowGuy

PicThePlowGuy Junior Member

It sounds more like a seized bearing than it does the gearbox. The gearbox, unless it went dry, should have oil in it, which would normally prevent it from seizing up like that. Can you manually turn the spinner? If not, check the bearings on that shaft. Mine were seized up once on a pro-caster I had. I used PB Blaster and sprayed the heck out of them. Eventually they freed up. I just had to keep spraying and moving the spinner back and forth little by little.

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I would isolate the spinner from the gear box. The spinner bearings can freeze solid. If they are bad when you replace them take a piece of rubber cut a hole in it and place it on the spinner shaft over the bearing to keep salt off the top of the bearing. If you feel like a road trip to Salem I repair plows and spreaders.

5. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

The spinner i can freely turn its the small pulley that the spinners belt attaches to that does not move. i opened the gear box and there was in fact oil in it which is now all over my driveway i wish fisher had a detailed manual but o well. i will try the bearing idea and ive gone through three pb blasters already

6. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

like i said you prob havea clutch issue take the pipe wrench and try to spin it....... if it dosen't go replace the cutch