1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher spring loaded ram ? MM2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ebaron, Jan 11, 2003.

1. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Have a question for anyone running a Fisher Minute Mount 2. I noticed they added a spring and cable to the lift assembly. It pulls the ram completely down if you float the plow. I figured this feature was nice for removal and install, :) and maybe it keeps the ram protected. BUT... by doing this, it just takes more time to lift, since the ram has to make up for the chain slack each time you float, then lift. So it looks like you end up using up more power, it slows you down and then, darn it, the timing is off and the plow isn't up in time! :(

So I am ready to just unbolt the thing. Has anyone seen/experienced this and have any other info that I might be missing???

2. hoagie

hoagie Member

You may have too much slack in the chain... did you install yourself?

I don't remember the exact length per side, (28" maybe? dependant on which pivot hole is used), but it's just enough to float through normal dips and hills.

Mine takes only like half of a second to take up slack and start to raise. Fully lowered on level ground, the chain only hangs an inch or two below the U bolt. Fully raised, the A frame has about 1/4 inch clearance w/ headgear... maybe less.

3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I run a MM 2 V-plow on a 1995 Chevy K-2500 and it has this spring. I have not noticed this at all. To me it works the same as the other two MM and the old Fisher I have in my Fleet. My quess is that they put that there to collapse the cylinder because too many people were complaining that they could not hook up the first generation MM in a "Minute". After being told to collapse the lift cylinder all the way the plow would hook up easy. My bet is they put this there to collapse the cylinder to not only protect it when not in use but to make it so people would not have to think about collapsing the cylinder to get enough slack in the chain to push the headgear back to lock the pins in easy.

4. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

I too have the MM2 and I sure don't see any difference with the plow being slow to pick up. If there is even a half-second difference I would truly be surprised and then I would have your dealer check that the chain length is correct before removing the spring.

Just a thought.....:waving:

5. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Yes, I agree that they installed it since people forgot to collapse the cylinder before removal. I remember fighting with mine more than once (early AM) or in the beginning of the season. After 10 minutes of fighting, then I remembered!

A dealer installed this one. I have about 2" of slack in the chain, which seems about normal. I'll have to check it when raised.

Wonder if there is any possibility the lift circuit in the pump isn't right, and it's just moving a bit slower.

6. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Can you buy this as an option or do you make them yourself? I have an older one on my F350 with Central Hydraulics and have to wedge a pair of pliers or whatever against the lever to push the cylinder down for mounting. Sounds like the ticket to me.
    Scott

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

It takes about a 1/2 second longer than the older style (mm1). SCL you can probably buy the spring from fisher, it should fit the mm1 plows just like it does on the mm2.

8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have both plows(MM1+MM2) and it seems the piston on the MM2 closes easier than the MM1,maybe there is something wrong with my MM1 but that little spring is not going to collapse the lift arm,i have to litterally sit on it sometimes but it has always been a little hard,maybe there is an adjustment for this but again,there is no way that little spring is pullin that sucker down!

9. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Thats what I was wonderin'. I have to block the lever down and then put my full weight on it to get it down. Just seems like a good idea.

10. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Gordyo hit the nail on the head. If it takes longer to lift the plow and it is a inconvience just remove the pull down cable. Most of you already know to push the lift arm down. But it was put there for the people that don't know.