1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher spring and cable tension

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Guys, I'm trying to figure out just how much tension I should put on my spring and cable adjustment. The way I look at it now, if I make the cable tight, without stretching the spring, the first time I rasie the plow I will stretch the hell out of the spring and it will be shot. If I don't put enough on, the lift ram will not full retract. How the f@%&$ do I set this thing?

How are yours set up? With the blade down, and the lift ram completely retcacted, is there any tension at all on your cable?? :help:

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would not use it but if you must, position lift ram all the way down and then tighten cable so there is just a tiny bit of spring stretch. The purpose of it it to easy the mounting and unmounting of plow but I always manually collapse the lift when I dismount unit. The reason I do not like the cable is that it always full collapses lift when in float and add a second ot two to lift time until slack is taken up and I also watch plow height and slack by position of lift arm when in float which you cannot do with spring attached.

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

So if the ram is collapsed all the way, and I have say 2 inches of ram lift before the chains lift the blade, the spring will keep it's ability to retract the ram all the way without loosing it's spring like characteristics? That's my main concern. I already stretched one so much that it needed to be replaced.

One mroe for you, do you have your chains adjusted (as per Fisher) so that the A-frame touches the lower part of the head gear? Or so that there is almost zero slack when the blade is lowered?

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Two inches will not hurt it just remember to fully collapse ram before setting spring tension and just set the slightest amount too in that position.

On the chain length, I adjust mine to that it hits lower frame contact points as ram tops out to get maximum lift for stacking when needed and for a bit more stable transport too.