1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Spreader Wiring

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by coops784, Dec 13, 2010.

1. coops784

coops784 Junior Member
    from Boston

First post on the forum and I'd like to thank anyone in advance for the help. Recently purchased a used 2.5 Yard Pro Caster and need to have the controller wired in. I've been told to wire it directly to a fuse and could use some help. I have a 2009 GMC 3500 Gas Dump and I'm hoping I can use the fuse box on the left of the steering wheel. However I have no idea as how to pick a fuse to tap into. I've got it that I need to stick a male adapter on the red lead from my controller and insert it into an existing "key on" fuse correct? But how do I allow the existing fuse to fit. How many amps does the fuse need to be and how do I go about picking a fuse there? Can I use an outlet with no fuse? Any help with an easy to understand answer would be appreciated. We have a number of fall cleanups to complete and other projects to sacrifice this truck for a day to bring it to someone. Thanks

2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I just picked up a couple of fuse box taps from autozone and the way they work is you plug the tap into a keyed on fuse (don't think it matters much which one) and there are now 2 fuse slots in the tap, one to replace the fuse you removed and one for the new tap lead. You then attach whatever circuit you want to power to the lead and you have an independent fused circuit. I'll see if i can post a pic

fuse tap.jpg

3. coops784

coops784 Junior Member
    from Boston

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is. I was looking through my fuse guide and I'll probolly tap into the into the driver side turn signal fuse. I'm assuming like you said it doesn't matter. What size fuse should I be using 5 10 or 20 for the sander?

4. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I put a 15 amp in mine but thats only because it was the first one my fingers grabbed on to when i reached into my box of fuses

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Interesting, thanks for sharing- I am so ignorant when it comes to wiring! Nice tip

6. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

the engine bay fuse block should have a powered upgrader stud to run your accessories from. Pop the cover and use a test light. they are usually to the right of the relays and fuses. the unit shown by buster f is not recommended for high power items like a salter. The fisher website will also tell you the correct fuse to use.