1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SpeedCaster 2 mounting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wxmn6, Aug 9, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking into Fisher SpeedCaster 2 sander (two stages) and I am curious how they are mounted. I originally thought that they are hitch mounted, but when I looked at the Fisher brochure, it looks like there are some kind of brackets under the tailgate that attachs to the sander. How do they work, and how do you hook up and unhook this sander? The brochure said that the unit itself weighs 235 pounds, that's a hefty unit to lift by yourself! :eek:

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the fisher scII It comes with a bed mount or a reciver type hitch.I have the reciever hitch it replaces your old with a class IV ,on the side of it are 2 slots where you slide the frame mount for the sander.Very easy to put on and take off with 2 people.It spreads just as well as the big V's with less noise.The only thing you have to worry about is not to load it fully and drive around with it all day then sand it compacts the sand very well.

4. wxmn6

Thanks snowjoker and cat320 for your help! :) I did not realized that there are two different mount options, in-bed truss and under tailgate mount. I looked at both installation manual for each (.pdf) and it seems that under tailgate mount would be a better option. Also it has better hitch capacity (10,000 pounds) than the GM factory hitch (which is rated at 7,500 pounds). The in-bed truss seems to be more complicated, and involve drilling several holes through the bed which I dont like the idea of. Also it seems to be a hassle to take the truss on and off when I need to, such as when I need to load my two stages snowblower in my truck bed.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The in bed truss is space waster in the bed.It is also not easy to remove,at least not easy enough to do it quickly to load a blower or something.

I didn't trust the Fisher hitch setup,as I tow very heavy sometimes,and it didn't look very strong.It was also a very expensive option,as it comes complete as a kit,new hitch and all.

I'm sure you could make a similar setup to utilize your existing hitch (if you have one),or make a hitch frame to mount it to if you don't.

Another option is a rear bumper mount.I made one for my truck,just a tube bumper,with two 2X2 holes in the top to accept the frame I mounted the salter on.The unit just lifts right out,with two people,or a small hoist or block and tackle.

If you want to utilize the truck bed for blowers,then I'd make up a swing away mount.Just like they have for the smaller tailgate units.You will need a beefy pivot,like a sealed hub and wheel bearing front a car.

6. wxmn6

Wyldman - thanks for your suggestion but I am not a fabricator, nor do I have a welder. So I pretty much cannot build things with metal. I current have a dump trailer with GVWR of 7000# and I only "maxed" it out a few times, so I feel that it would not be a concern. If I were to do alot of heavy towing, I would looking into something beefer. By the way, how much do the under tailgate mount cost more than the in-bed truss mount, if you know?

I read in the brochure that you have an option of either simple off/on/blast switch or the variable speed controller. With the simple switch, can you preset the sander to a specific speed that you desired? With the variable speed controller, which component of the spreader do it controls, the spinner or auger (or is that belt?) ?

Thanks for your help! :) :drinkup:

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well i have no problem towing with mine I have a 5 ton dump and had it loaded up with about 3 yards of dirt .As far as the controls i got the speed control just so I can control the width of the spread ,and it controls both the belt and the spinner.That was a good idea of making a gate to keep it on to get to the bed with out having to take it off.

8. wxmn6

cat320 - so supposely I turn up the dial on the speed controller, BOTH spinner and belt speed will increase, correct? Thanks.

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That is correct wxmn6 . It is a good unit and I have no real complaints about it other than not being able to fully load it and leave it on while I plow for balast and then have it to spread when it stops snowing.

Also I forgot to say it's a very easy install you only have to drill 2 holes in the frame,then bolt every thing up, run your wireing .I know you will have no problem with that.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  10. wxmn6

Sounds like this is the unit I would buy. Just curious - how are you able to hook up the spreader? The brochure said that these unit weighs 235 pounds without the mount including. Did you have to use a hoist or a helper to hook it up? I am one man show so I need to figure out a way to be able to hook up by myself.

Approminately how much did you paid for the whole spreader unit if you remember?

On edit: I assume that you plow with those spreader hooked up most of time? How did you deal with the visibility? Is it a problem when plowing small and tight driveways? I am not sure if I should mount it before the storm or after I am done plowing and then salt.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think that it cost me around $2,200 cash and carry .As far as puting it on I try to get some one here to help me but if i can't I use my backhoe to raise it up then i just hook it on.If you can make some saw horses for it you can just pivet it right off onto them.

12. wxmn6

Thanks! That is a great idea - I could build something like that to make hooking up (and unhooking) with ease. Time to pull out the saw and some 2x4s. ;)

I probably will talk to my Fisher dealer about it when I get my plow installed in about 2 weeks. :D :drinkup:

13. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Swing gate mount

I used a Western Pro Flow 2 for the last two winters. I wanted to make sure I could load the bed of the truck with out having to hand load or remove the spreader (which does take two people to lift). Since it was going on a dump truck, we made a swing gate.

We're defintely not fabricators by trade, as this thing was designed on a bar napkin over a few beers.

Even though this was on a one ton dump, I would think you could make one for a pick up bed (perhaps more difficult). Western said they didn't offer a swing gate for the two stage spreaders since they are too heavy. We built this puppy so that when full it could swing open, but we didn't since it was more work to close the gate.

swing gate 4.jpg

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't have to be a fabricator to make one.Find someone who can make one up for you.

Like Lawn Lad said,you could fab up a mount like that for a pickup as well,as still have full use of the bed.

We use the variable speed controllers.They had some problems with the early ones,but they seem to last better now.

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Stephen,your near Cairo NY aren't you?I'm like an hour and a half from there,i'd be happy to help you out with a different mount set-up.

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That looks good lawn lad.Is that all you run baged stuff or do you use any sand thru it?

17. wxmn6

Arc Burn - it is more likely about 20-25 minutes drive to Catskill/Cairo. That is kind of you to offer to help me out. I do like the wyldman's idea, and the setup that Lawn Lad made (nice job!). But my truck is new, and I don't want to mess around with it. It is also my personal truck. It also seems like alot of work to do with modifcation. I think that I can figure out another way to bring the snowblower.

I just have one more question that may have been overlooked in the previous post, if you don't mind answering. I assume that you plow with those spreader hooked up most of time? How did you deal with the visibility? Is it a problem when plowing small and tight driveways? I am not sure if I should mount the spreader before the storm or after I am done plowing and then salt? Thanks.

18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

All i can say is-LEARN TO USE YOUR MIRRORS:nod: ,I could never understand copmlaints about blocked rear sights:confused: ,my head would fall off if i had to turn around everytime i backed up:dizzy:

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Side mirrors I can still see pretty good thru the back if i'm doing a big lot.The only thing you have to remember when plowing with it on is that it adds like another 2' to the rear right in the middle of the truck.If you back into a snow bank you will damage the lower spinner guard.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Get Arc to make you a replacement bumper (just use it in the winter) to mount your salter,protect it,and offer some protection for the rear of the truck.It easy,take only a few minutes to change bumpers.

I never use anything but my mirrors,so rear visibility isn't a problem.You can add some nice lights to your setup to help you see behind you,and see your spread pattern.

I have a whole bunch of pics of mine,I just gotta find them.