1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Speedcast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

I have an older style 8' Fisher Speedcast Plow with a permanent mount. The pump is under the hood, belt drive. The valves are cable acuated.

there must be some "hotrodding" that can be done to increase performance? can i switch out the pulley for a smaller one to make the plow go faster at a lower engine rpm?

has anyone used any type of clutch pulley? (like the ones a/c systems use?

what about addring down pressure?

any other tricks/tips?

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I put a smaller pulley on one of my trucks that I had and it did make the plow go faster.

3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

was the pulley hard to find to fit? how much smaller did you go and how much faster did the plow go?

thanks

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

im not sure about any hot rod tricks, but be carefull you dont overspeed the pump.

i remember on my old fisher it said " do not turn pump faster than the engine"

i always revved up the engine to get the plow up a little faster.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't put a clutch on it,too expensive and one more thing to go wrong.Just pull the belt off when not using the plow in the off months.

Downpressure can be done,but it would again be way to much work to figure out.If you want down pressure buy a snoway.

You will damage the pump if you overspeed it.You might be able to go a bit smaller on the pulley,but i'd bet your pump is worn out.Try a new pump,it will most likely give you the performance your looking for.If you really want it to go faster,get a pump with a little more volume.

6. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

i have on my 78 gmc a 3 in pully and it works good