1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Speedcast Question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Asolek, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Asolek

Asolek Junior Member

I have a fisher speedcast system minute mount plow on a 1988 Chevy 2500. This is my first year and im having some trouble. When I first start the truck the plow will raise and angle just fine. Then when it warms up you have to rev the engine to a hig rpm to bring the plow up. If you dont rev the engine and try to raise the plow it will fall, it also likes to fall down while driving. What do I have to do to fix this problem? Is my pump failing? Can I put a smaller pulley on the pump?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My Speedcasts never failed to work, but I did notice that after a long time of plowing they would slow down just a tiny bit and all of them would droop a little while driving, so you'd have to bump it back up. I'd say it's the pump and or fluid. Have enough fluid? Maybe those pumps slow down when they get warmed up. I never replaced any of mine, so I never knew the difference.

3. mgawat

mgawat Junior Member
    from Maine

CHeck your fluid and adding some Lucas tansmission fluid will do wonders for you!!!:bluebounc

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

also check to see if the valve is adjusted correctly were the cable is hooked up. if not set correctly it will bleed by or give min flow to ram. but a good 2000-2500 pressure gauge is what you need to check pump pressure to see if she is on her way out. you should be in the 1800 range if i recall correctly.

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Agreed. If the plow creeps down, the control valve is leaking pressure. The pump is not actually doing anything once the plow is up. The valve is holding it up until you open it and let the pressure out of the lift piston. Definitely check the cable adjustment on the underhood valve.