1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Speedcast Old School

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PPP, Oct 30, 2011.

1. PPP

PPP Member

Got a quick question on an old Fisher Speedcast Plow. Been using the truck for parking lots the last two years and never had this problem until I had to put the truck on plowing the roads. The push beam keeps coming loose. I have grade 5 bolts installed with lock nuts and lock-tight. Is there anyway to keep them tight? I was wondering if welding it in place was an option? Any thoughts or ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the beam on the truck side the 2 ear's clip in to ?

if so its supost to float a little bit and not be 100% solid.

bigest thing is make sure you use longer bolts that have a smooth shoulder and then cut the threads down to the length needed. this way it piviots on the smooth shoulder and not mash over the threads. i did this on mine and still no problems over 5 years now. i run 8ft and 9ft blade on my truck aspr storm needs.

its a special bolt from fisher but easy to make your own. thay whow a drilled bolt and castle nut with cotter pin to keep tight and not let the nut back off.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it's supposed to float. I use a longer bolt than needed, then double nut it so it doesn't fall out. Put the nuts on the outside of the push plate so you can easily check them every time you take the blade off.
  4. PPP

PPP Member

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. Double nuting a longer bolt from the outside and just keep checking it every chance I get.
  5. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I finally drilled mine out for a larger bolt. Seems like I had to grind one side of the bolt head to make it fit. Then I tightened it with a four foot cheater pipe. Then I put a "Lincoln lock" on the nuts. It hasn't loosened up, and if it has to come off I will just torch the bolts.
  6. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I rebuilt a tired old Speedcast system that I bought off a guy years ago. Mounts on my '73 Dodge. Bulletproof and tough as nails.

Yes, the pushbeam is held in place by two bolts with holes drilled in the end and castle nuts. A cotter pin locks the nuts in place so they can't unthread. You can buy sets of these from Fisher or get 'em at a decent hardware store.

5/8-11 x 1 1/2" drilled capscrew grade five (#5005)
    5/8-11 slotted nut (90446)
    3/16 x 1-3/4" cotter pin (90012)

Nuts on the outside of the pushplates.

I like to antiseize the threads and cinch the nuts down good, making sure the slots in the nut align with the hole in the bolt, then install the cotter pins. Never had an issue.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. snowbear12

snowbear12 Junior Member
    from ny

Changing trucks

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would advise you to start a new post as the original post is old.