1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Snowplow Spring Compression Tool

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BJH Snow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone out on the Plowsite can tell me where I can get a spring compression tool to install my new springs for my Fisher. Or if you could give me some ideas on how I can compress the springs. (Other tool options)

Thanks for your help.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Got a automotive spring shop around?
    I have had them compress vehicle springs and band them.
    You install the spring then cut the band. This might not work with plow springs.
    Try the Fisher Web site they should have the manual available there.
    Post the question in the Fisher Section too.

3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to compress them with some turn buckles and tie down strapping. I tied a section of strapping to the spring and connected it to the turn buckle. I hooked the other end of the turn buckle to a piece of steel that I cut to and drilled a couple holes in it. I ran the steel piece under the steel bracket of the assembly and was able to get them to compress enough so I could put it in.

Thanks for you help.

Bryan

4. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

That sounds real dangerous. I would not recommend doing it that way. I just did this on my plow and it was difficult to figure out for the first spring. After I got one the others were not so bad. I used a basic spring compressor that I rented from Checker. It was tough because you compress the spring but the spring wants to bend alot. If you keep with it, take your time, and be careful, it works pretty good. But it could do some serious damage if it let go in a strange way so take your time. Once the spring is in place it's a bit tricky to get the compressor off but it can be done. Good luck and again, BE CAREFUL.

5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Boulder

Thanks for your concern, I did add a tied down strap through the spring and tightened it up as I adjusted the turn buckle. That way if the spring let go, I would have a it tighted with the tie down. I got them on and hope I don't have to worry about them for a couple years.

Thanks Again,

Bryan

6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Get a piece of pvc pipe that fits over the spring. Figure out how small the spring has to be to fit in the plow. Cut the pvc pipe to that length or slightly shorter.

Drill two holes in the pvc perpendicular to the length--about an inch from top and bottom. Put a bolt all the way thru the bottom hole (s). Put the spring in the tube, and use a vise or other compression method to compress the spring inside the top hole. Put a bolt thru the pvc on the top side which is above the top of the spring. Put the spring on the plow and remove the bolts. Cut the pvc off with a sawzall. The pipe contains the spring movement while mounting. Make sure to use thick pvc...not the thin junk.

Or go to a fisher dealer and pay a few bucks.

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

If you buy from a Fisher dealer ask them to pre-load them for you.

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Spring Compressor

Hi

I just went through this with an older LC model, which the new compressor from Fisher won't work unless you cut a cross slot in the top plate on the mold board, so I fabricated a HD compressor that uses a 4-ton porta power jack.

The compressor I made works awesome!

I took a 37" long x 1" solid square bar , and four plates, two with slots in them , and two without .I welded a slotted one on the bottom) I took another slotted one and welded a 1" x 4" x 6" long rectangular tube to it and another plate on the top of the tubing, then welded another plate on the other end, the two plates with the tubing slide along the square bar in the middle, I also added a couple of chains with hooks to grab the bottom of the cutting edge, this keeps the tool and the spring anchored down when loading tension on the spring .

To use the compressor, I insert the spring bar and spring into the top plate on the mold board slip the tool over the end of the spring bar at the trip edge mount, then I slide the slide tube/plate down on top of the top plate on the mold board, insert the jack between the slide tube and the top plate , as I extend the jack, it pulls the bottom of the spring bar upward, compressing the spring, the spring bar moves into the top plate on the mold board and enter the slide tube, once compressed I take a alignment pin and line up the spring bar hole to the trip edge mount, remove the pin and install the bolt, attach double nut and tighten , once tight I release the jack, install a rivet or harden bolt at the top of the spring bar.
    It just took me longer to explain how it works, than it takes to install or remove a trip spring! lol I did three in about ten minutes, no hassle, and nice and safe. This tool can be used with the plow still attached to the truck, best part with the porta power you got about a 6' hose to move away from the spring while compressing it, just another nice feature for added safety.

Next time I use it I'll have to take some photo's and post them.

Jay