1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SEHP Questions...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by alcoman50, Oct 26, 2010.

1. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

I have recently purchased my first Fisher. Not my first plow just my first Fisher. 7ft on a 1999 Tahoe. Minute Mount (not a MM2). Took me a bit to figure our mounting and unmounting. Good documentation on Fisher site. And of course LOTS of good information on PlowSite. Now I cannot seem to find out what a certain part is on the plow and my ancient western cable op had nothing of the sort. Facing front of truck to the left of the jack stand is what looks like a shock absorber. Has a pin on top and a "key" shaped protrusion on the side. what is this and does the pin or the key go into the slot on the upper cross member? I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give. Also does anyone in the Syracuse area have a decent dealer for parts. Looking for the large gaudy blade guides. The OEM ones are just too small for my tastes. Looking for a good source of after-market parts in the area. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

STS truck in Syracuse

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

hmmmmm, the nearst I can figure from your description, it sounds like someone mounted a release rod to the plow frame...does it look anything like the picture below? If not, post a picture of the front of your plow so we can see what it is your talking about. Whatever it is, I suspect it's not apart of the original plow setup.

[​IMG]

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

What part #????

mm_headgear[1].gif

5. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

Will have to take a picture of it and post.. it appears to be larger diameter than the release rod in the images..

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

nothing fitting that description on my plow- but then I have an HD series- could it be a lighter duty series being a 7 footer? HT series?

7. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

plowpart.jpg

here is the part to which I am referring...

plowpart.jpg

8. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

on the left side of that at the top is a key like protrusion like an old school skeleton key.. the top of it comes off and there is a spring inside. the bottom is attached to the cross member and just under the circle there is a slot.. does the pin on top go in the slot or the key? Thank you all in advance..

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

That doesn't look Fisher in any way. It's welded on? does it look like factory welds or someone adding some kind of shock after the fact?

10. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

the original minute mount had that setup with a spring inside it to balance the headgear it never worked right. it was replaced by a torsion spring kit on the back of the a frame.

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Wow, that's cool. I've never seen that before. Thanks Tractor for that explination, one learns something new everyday.....

12. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

Thank u all. Thank you Repo. Now question is, do I remove it or do I put the keyed portion back in the slot?

13. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

WOW is right ..........

14. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

And I mis-typed... thank u tractor.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, it's disconnected... I would see about adding the "upgrade" coil/torsion spring instead, but then I'm not sure how important is really is since the MM2 did away with them all together.

Tractor- since you know way more about this setup than any others here- can you tell us in what way they failed to work? Might answer the question for him in that.

16. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Post this question up in the Fisher Q&A session that is going on. I'm sure that Roger will have an answer for you.

17. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

It was hooked to the headgear and the a frame with a spring inside of the tube. It balanced the headgear when the plow was taken off. Usually the spring broke and the tension went off it and it got bent or broke.The best thing to do is replace it with the torsion kit. If you don't have either the headgear will fall forward when you take the plow off the truck.Hope this helps

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yeah those were on the very first MM headgears Mostly on the LD series which came out a year before the bigger ones. However I have seen one on an HD plow. It had worn out and the owner just used a block of wood between the headgear and A-frame. switching the the torsion setup would be best though.

19. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

part # for the torsion kit is 20185 cost is $32.86 from Fisher