1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SD or HD 7'6" plow for Duramax

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 4u2nv, Sep 12, 2010.

1. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

I just bought a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab with the Duramaz/Ally combo.

Now here's my problem... the only thing Fisher suggests to put on this truck is the 7"6" SD series plow. They list the SD at 487 lbs. The HD is listed at 630 lbs.

I don't want to be breaking the truck just to put a plow on it but I need something as I live on a private roadway and have to clear it myself. Besides that I work for someone else doing a parking lot and about 6 driveways.

I guess my question is do I go with the SD or not listen and go with the HD? What are the differences between the two?

Thank for the help.

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

My father in law had an 8' HD on the 05 1500 Sierra he had and never had a problem. He had another 8' HD put on his new 1500 Sierra earlier this year. Your truck will handle it fine.

3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

8 Foot HD no problem.

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

8 foot HD, no questions asked. Don't even consider a SD or a 7.5' period. Crank up the T-bars a little and don't worry about it.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Takes an 8 ft minimum just to clear the track width in a slight curve. 8.5 works even better...

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have serveral complete used setups for ur truck if u decide to go with an 8ft hd.

7. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Sent you a pm... I'm a little nervous to go with the 8' but it's only 87lbs more than the 7'6. And it's still 3 lbs. lighter than the 7'6 Curtis I had on the last truck.

I kind of figured the SD wouldn't be a good idea.

8. brad96z28

Ive run an extreme v on my own truck same as urs. Just make sure u have the gusstes welded behind ur controll arms and add timbrens if ur worried lots of guys on here run much bigger and heavier with out any problems and the reason is because u could technically plow with 6 people in the cab thats why they do not recomend bigger. Also run about 800lbs ballast as i do and u will loose a couple few hundred pounds off the frt axle?

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I run MVP's on mine and have on 6 different Dmaxes. No problems at all. No way would I ever waste my money on a 7'6" for that truck. I'm selling an MVP but I'm quite a hike from you lol.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should put an 8' HD on it IMO. I know a guy with a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins and he has a 9.5' Extreme V on it.

11. jjcap02703

jjcap02703 Junior Member

I ran into a similar problem of wanting a HD plow, but I had to settle for a HT plow. One responder pointed out to me that the my GMC Sierra 1500 4 x 4 Extended Cab it was not legally rated by Fisher for a HD plow. While it might have worked with it, by Federal Standards it was illegal to put an HD plow on my particular truck. Check the Fisher website for the eMatch that will tell you what plow is legal on your truck. As I mentioned above, I believe the others that it will work, but if you ever get into an accident and some smart lawyer checks out the plow and sues based on an overweighted plow for the truck what happens then?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  12. brad96z28

What would happes I supose that the lawyer would need to prove that the overweight plow caused the accident. Unless the frame breaks from the plow I dont think he would have much to worry about. Prety much everyone on here knows about gussets.I will be happy to hang whatever blade he wishes on that truck. If u are not plowing with 6 passengers with that truck I dont think there is a problem.

13. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

When I bought my 2001 GMC Duramax extended cab the GMC dealer did alot of research with Fisher and GMC to make sure I could put an 8'MM Fisher plow on my truck. Here is what I remember. It was not so much the ability of the truck to carry the weight. It was if the truck was fully loaded with people and payload plus the weight of the plow would the brakes be able to stop the truck in an emergency. I had never given that a thought. I feel better knowing that my truck is "street legal". I hope this helps a little

14. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

I'm 99% positive I'm going with a 7 1/2 foot Fisher HD plow at this point. My last truck had a 7 1/2 Curtis and I never had a problem with it. Sometimes it was nice that the plow was a little narrower and other times I wished it was wider so overall it worked out. I plan on doing less plowing with this truck than I did with the other so I should be alright. The Fisher is lighter than the Curtis was as well. I really liked the hook up of the Curtis but the maintenance was a pain because everything was covered and hard to access, the Fisher is all out in the open. Hopefully I'll get used to hooking one up and it will be just as easy as the Curtis was. Finding parts for the Curtis was a pain as well.